ID:138401

The host service will now send you an email when output goes into your log file for the first time. It's too easy for error reports to go by unnoticed otherwise.

To get this working, you just have to remove your existing log file each time and it will notify you the next time anything goes into it. (It sends the notice when the game shuts down, which I suppose might be quite a while after the output was generated in some cases. I can alter that.)

You will also need an email address registered with your key. To change it or see what it is, use the '.account set-email' and '.account info' commands. We will be upgrading the interface to all of those commands soon, but for now, those should at least be functional.

--Dan
On 9/4/00 7:11 pm Dan wrote:
The host service will now send you an email when output goes into your log file for the first time. It's too easy for error reports to go by unnoticed otherwise.

Nice -- worked the first time I tried it.

Removing the log file reminds me of something I've been meaning to bug you about:

A plea:

It would be really helpful if all the file commands provided status output.

So rm should say it removed the file -- otherwise you are not sure you removed the correct file, or if anything happened at all, and you always have to do an ls to see.

Plus an enhancement idea:

Hmm it sure would be nice to have this interface handled through the browser now, so you click on a file to take action, and you always have a list of your files showing...

Plus a bug report:

Earlier today when uploading files I accidentally started uploading DreamSeeker.exe. I immediately hit the Stop button, and it sort of seemed to stop, but then it started again and eventually it uploaded the whole thing even though I hit Stop several more times.

There, is that enough punishment for your good deed today?

Hah! I have no idea how you knew that, after a couple months of working only on my own machine, tonight I would finally upload something to test on the server. Now that's timing!

(So far, the log file is 0 bytes... knock on wood...)