ID:138403

Well I had loads of fun getting together to play The Living and The Dead, and then Sheep II.

Perhaps once a month or so we oughta take the latest games out for a spin.

Sheep II was definitely the more fun multi-player game, and gave me some thoughts:

- LivingDead needs to play longer. The length is okay for single player, but with several players the game tends to be suddenly over 30 seconds in.

I'm thinking of doing this by upping Lwen's HP the more players there are.

- I should support teams.

Zilal only needs to do one thing to make Sheep II even cooler: Set world.view to show the whole map!
On 9/3/00 6:08 pm Deadron wrote:
Well I had loads of fun getting together to play The Living and The Dead, and then Sheep II.

Agreed. It was a blast!

I think we should do this more frequently, perhaps once a week. We can agree on a fixed time. Sunday night is good for me.

Sheep II was definitely the more fun multi-player game, and gave me some thoughts:

I thought that both games were a lot of fun. Even though we had a few problems, I think that overall things progressed very nicely, given that we had five or six people going at once. Some of the situations were downright hilarious, too. This was a very encouraging night for BYOND and the community.

- LivingDead needs to play longer. The length is okay for single player, but with several players the game tends to be suddenly over 30 seconds in.

I'm thinking of doing this by upping Lwen's HP the more players there are.

- I should support teams.

I agree with both of these, especially the team play-- that would be fun! I think, also, that it would help to allow custom icons or at least preserve icon colors between rounds. But that is a nitpicky detail that might be better served for your forum.

All in all, though, I thought the game was a lot of fun. Considering that you just went multiplayer a few days ago, it seemed to work quite nicely.

Zilal only needs to do one thing to make Sheep II even cooler: Set world.view to show the whole map!

I agree here too, although the scrolling does add an element of difficulty. Of course, in my case, following the fifty sheep onscreen was baffling. Not all of us can keep up with Spatz's lightning-quick reflexes and razor-sharp tongue whilst in game. Sickening.

I encourage all of you to come by next Sunday. Hopefully we can try some other games out. Now I want to write something to "beta-test"!
I had a very enjoyable time. Not only that, but I feel more like a community now. It's amazing, the difference between posting and actually chatting and playing together.

I am still waffling on this. I am afraid that I could never win if my opponents could instantly see that I had diverted their sheep into my door. I will see how playable the game is with small icons on my tiny monitor.

Something that might be neat would be a Sheep II expansion with really huge maps that weren't quite so... well, monotonous. I mean, pre-planned instead of random maps. Um, more like Lemmings.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 9/3/00 8:03 pm Zilal wrote:
I had a very enjoyable time. Not only that, but I feel more like a community now. It's amazing, the difference between posting and actually chatting and playing together.

I imagine that something like this is what drove those Dantom guys to put insane amounts of their lives into this thing...
In response to Tom H.

I think we should do this more frequently, perhaps once a week. We can agree on a fixed time. Sunday night is good for me.

We'll call it GOB! Gathering of BYOND! Okay, well, it's not as cool as Gathering of Developers, but that's a copyrighted name. =)

I agree here too, although the scrolling does add an element of difficulty. Of course, in my case, following the fifty sheep onscreen was baffling. Not all of us can keep up with Spatz's lightning-quick reflexes and razor-sharp tongue whilst in game. Sickening.

Ah, the joys of being hated. I'll go hide under a box now, if anyone needs me. You'll find it in the middle of the freeway.

The thing I enjoyed most was the fact that I could cheat by helping out players whilst in observe mode. Because my score didn't matter, I could buy arrows until my finger fell off, and use them as I pleased. If only I could've used bombs too! =)

Oh, I didn't have a chance to do this properly during the games, so here I go; BOOYAH! Thank you, and have a good night.

P.S. Hey, Manifacae, you missed the 4:00 show, ya know. Just about every oldbie in the system was there (except Guy, whose location remains a strict question in my book).
In response to Deadron

I imagine that something like this is what drove those Dantom guys to put insane amounts of their lives into this thing...

I thought it was amazing that I was the youngest person there. And, yeah, I guess talking with all of you crude adults was kind of fun, too. =)

P.S. By crude I mean a sense of humor, in no way am I insulting your intellect, which could probably come somewhere close to mine. (BOOYAH! ;-)

P.P.S. Wow, I haven't had this much fun gloating for ages. =)
In response to Spuzzum
(except Guy, whose location remains a strict question in my book).

I actually played L&D earlier in the day... I had a picnic last night (and got to swim for the first time this summer). Tom and Deadron happened to pop in, plus someone I didn't recognize.

I'm glad there was such a big response to the main event! The Sunday-night GoB is a great idea.
In response to Spuzzum
I would have won, if not for:

Assuming Koyemshi knew how to play the game already... when he was running around killing innocent people, I decided he was Lwen and shot him.

My tiny monitor. Yeah, that's it.

My computer crashing when I was ahead of everyone in Sheep.

Sheep bugs allowing spectators to place arrows!

So you see, I should have won everything. Besides, Spuzzum was exploiting.

Z
In response to Zilal
On 9/4/00 8:14 am Zilal wrote:
Assuming Koyemshi knew how to play the game already... when he was running around killing innocent people, I decided he was Lwen and shot him.

That is so great to hear! EXACTLY the kind of confusion I was hoping the game would sow!

Friend against friend! Who is the enemy and why is that guy following me?
In response to Deadron
That is so great to hear! EXACTLY the kind of confusion I was hoping the game would sow!

Friend against friend! Who is the enemy and why is that guy following me?

Heh... I think I killed a few innocents when I tried to break up eye-poking scuffles...
On 9/3/00 6:08 pm Deadron wrote:

Well, the polls look like they're mostly in, and it looks like there's an extreme vote in favor of having one even once a week!

So I guess it'd be every Sunday at 4 PDT, then? (I'd be a little more in favor of a noon time, because then our pals overseas would have a chance to play.)

Current Format:
Pacific.......4:00 PM
GMT..........12:00 AM

Feature request: multiple recipients in pager. That was a bit tough using Ctrl+C for 5 different people, especially with all of the Unconnected blanks in between!