ID:138405

Oh wow. In-game the other night, Tom mentioned something I hadn't realized: there is a preference that lets you determine when small icons kick in for world.view sizes. You can totally turn off small icons if you want.

I haven't liked world.view = 10 with small icons cause I don't usually carry a molecular telescope with me for looking at my screen.

But on a lark I tried turning off the small icon setting and doing world.view = 10.

Oh my god -- this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for -- a map with real-sized icons that takes up a chunk of the screen. It totally changes the game (and will change my level design a bit too).

For many monitors this means that the map knocks out other features. However, on my 19 inch monitor it is perfect.

I think I'll switch all my work to world.view = 10 and provide instructions for turning off small icons. Those with smaller monitors will just have to suffer, because the benefit is too big.

Now I have no concerns about my ultimate game.
You and your 19-inch monitors! I have a 14-inch monitor, doggonit, and what I lack in viewing space I make up for in self-righteousness!

Z
In response to Zilal
On 9/3/00 1:09 pm Zilal wrote:
You and your 19-inch monitors! I have a 14-inch monitor, doggonit, and what I lack in viewing space I make up for in self-righteousness!

Z

In all seriousness if there's any way you can swing it, go 19 (or at least 17).

Your life will be better and you will hate cats less.
In response to Deadron
A couple notes:

The big difference as far as display is concerned is in your video memory. You probably want to run at at least 1024x768 pixel resolution, maybe even 1280x1024. The latter is probably do-able with a 17-inch monitor; anything less and the pixels will be too tiny.

Also, you can temporarily change the icon sizes by going to the "Layout" menu and selecting Big/small icons there. That setting holds for the game. The client configuration determines what the default setting is for new games.
In response to Deadron
On 9/3/00 1:27 pm Deadron wrote:
Your life will be better and you will hate cats less.

But I like cats!

One would think I ought to upgrade my 200mhz processor, 32m of RAM or 33kbps modem first. But if I had that kind of money, I would use it to fix the annoying smoke that comes out from under the hood whenever I run my car.

Z