ID:138411

Well guys, I looked at some of the utils out there and well... I just was not satisfied with the utility for our application of converting the files. I had problems with Dicer and the grids and still had to import the lot one at a time. Now unless I missed something this is highly inefficient and a waste of time. So I have endeavoured to write my own. Ya, I know I said I suck as programming... but I know some and can hack my way through some stuff :P

Anyhow, I have almost finished the first rev. It only converts BMPs to smaller BMPs right now but I was still thinking of going beyond that. So, I was wondering if there were any requested features (off the tops of your heads).

Lastly, I was wondering (to the BYOND coders, specifically) if I could get a DMI file format/spec doc or header file so I could have it output the files directly into DMI format.

Thanks in advance (and wish me luck on actually hacking this thing out :)

~Koyemshi
[email protected]
Project MOE
On 8/31/00 5:20 pm Koyemshi wrote:

Lastly, I was wondering (to the BYOND coders, specifically) if I could get a DMI file format/spec doc or header file so I could have it output the files directly into DMI format.

Unfortunately the format is not that trivial, since the packed pixmaps are compressed quite a bit. It would probably be easiest to give you a dll to do the conversion.

But .. I finally succumbed to the peer pressure and am actually investigating this same issue right now. I encourage you to continue with your efforts, though, as I don't know how far this will actually go.

In response to Tom H.
But .. I finally succumbed to the peer pressure and am actually investigating this same issue right now. I encourage you to continue with your efforts, though, as I don't know how far this will actually go.

Say, Tom, I just had a brainstorm! Given that Picture Dicer already creates files with names that indicate the slices' relative positions to each other, all that's really needed is a "bulk pixmap import" option. This would act just like the existing pixmap import, with two minor enhancements:

1) The user can use shift or ctrl to choose multiple files in the file selector.
2) Each created icon_state gets the name of the source file, minus the .bmp extension. For example, if I selected "12.bmp" and "34.bmp", I'd end up with two icon states labeled "12" and "34".

I bet you could code this with one hand tied behind your back! And just to sweeten the deal: if you do it, I'll write a tutorial for it. :)
In response to Guy T.
I bet you could code this with one hand tied behind your back! And just to sweeten the deal: if you do it, I'll write a tutorial for it. :)

Uh oh, Tom. He's writing a tutorial, that's a sure thing you're going to have to do it. =)

I am so incredibly supportive of Guy's idea it isn't funny. That is a supremely extremely aluminiously (huh? =) wonderfully interestingly idea.
In response to Guy T.
On 9/1/00 8:27 am Guy T. wrote:

Well, I don't know about one hand tied behind my back, but this should be easy to do. It's also a pretty intuitive way for importing multiple files. Still, I'm aiming for the better goal of just importing the bitmap entirely, even bypassing all of this state business (appearance-wise) if possible.

We'll have something for the next update.