ID:138417

Well, we're at the end of the month (okay, a couple of days away) -- does it look like one or both of these will happen?

On 8/29/00 4:26 pm Deadron wrote:
Well, we're at the end of the month (okay, a couple of days away) -- does it look like one or both of these will happen?

The book got finished by the printer today. They'll be delivered here tommorow so we'll set something up to purchase them here. I haven't heard back from the server guys yet, but I'll bug them more today. Until we have that, we won't have the online merchanting (although I suppose we could use PayPal in the meantime).
In response to Tom H.
Until we have that, we won't have the online merchanting (although I suppose we could use PayPal in the meantime).

I already have a PayPal account, so that would be fine by me!
In response to Guy T.
On 8/29/00 4:52 pm Guy T. wrote:
Until we have that, we won't have the online merchanting (although I suppose we could use PayPal in the meantime).

I already have a PayPal account, so that would be fine by me!

Sure but what I'm interested in is the website hosting!

I wanna go on a technology binge to bring to find the best results of 2000 years of technological development and bring to bear completely unnecessary levels of technological overkill for my simple website!

(Plus I wanna use the experience to learn Python -- for which you can blame Guy T...)
In response to Deadron
On 8/29/00 6:41 pm Deadron wrote:

Sure but what I'm interested in is the website hosting!

I wanna go on a technology binge to bring to find the best results of 2000 years of technological development and bring to bear completely unnecessary levels of technological overkill for my simple website!

Sounds like a good goal! I just heard from the server guy and it looks like things are getting setup. I predict that we'll be online within a week or so. We'll make the hosting services available as soon as we figure out the new machine.

I just visited paypal and they look to have services to do generic billing. Has anyone ever used their "premier" website feature, where it sounds like they are just a transparent middleman between the consumer and business? I don't want the user to have to setup anything in advance, so I'm hoping this is correct.
In response to Tom H.
I just visited paypal and they look to have services to do generic billing. Has anyone ever used their "premier" website feature, where it sounds like they are just a transparent middleman between the consumer and business? I don't want the user to have to setup anything in advance, so I'm hoping this is correct.

Hmm. I don't know anything about that, although there's an interesting new article at pbs.org/cringely which asserts that, for all intents and purposes, PayPal is the de facto Internet payment standard. However, it appears that PayPal currently only works for us red-blooded Americans... which means that some of the BYOND community would be out in the cold. Still, it's at least a good option to offer.

Also, you should probably offer a choice to pay via Physical Transport Protocol. (I.e., mailing in a check.)
In response to Guy T.
On 8/31/00 1:59 pm Guy T. wrote:

Hmm. I don't know anything about that, although there's an interesting new article at pbs.org/cringely which asserts that, for all intents and purposes, PayPal is the de facto Internet payment standard. However, it appears that PayPal currently only works for us red-blooded Americans... which means that some of the BYOND community would be out in the cold. Still, it's at least a good option to offer.

Also, you should probably offer a choice to pay via Physical Transport Protocol. (I.e., mailing in a check.)

Since we'd prefer tighter control over the billing for the hosting and future commerce services, we're currently getting approved for an online merchant account via our new secure server. If that doesn't work out, we'll use PayPal or one of the other derivatives.

I'll put up the check-order page today.