ID:138440

Would it be possible for you to change the rotation increment of the spin arrows in the icon editor from 90 deg to 45 deg. I've just started experimenting with 8 dirs and it's proving a bit tiresome to generate the 4 diagonal images.
On 8/15/00 3:32 am Al wrote:
Would it be possible for you to change the rotation increment of the spin arrows in the icon editor from 90 deg to 45 deg. I've just started experimenting with 8 dirs and it's proving a bit tiresome to generate the 4 diagonal images.

Good idea. It might have to be a little more clever though, since 8 directionality is "lossy" in the sense that rotating a square 45 degrees cuts it off, so two successive rotations won't produce the desired result. Shouldn't be too hard to fudge, though.

I'm also adding a circle tool if that helps any. Any other requests?
In response to Tom H.
I'm also adding a circle tool if that helps any.

Neato! That will be pretty useful.

Any other requests?

How about a feature to automatically cut up a bmp file into a bunch of icon states? :)
In response to Guy T.
How about a feature to automatically cut up a bmp file into a bunch of icon states? :)

Actually, I think you already have the seeds of the technology built into the icon editor... I know when you import a bmp larger than 32x32, it neatly extracts the upper left corner.

It would be extra-nice if the generated icon states were automatically given names like "1_1" for the lower left corner and "3_4" (or whatever) for the upper right corner. This would make it very easy to implement, say, Gabriel's idea of scanning in a whole big map. (I guess it depends on how many icon states an icon can hold, too... is it the magic number 65535?)

Of course, maybe this is a feature you already implemented and I somehow missed it... :)
In response to Tom H.
On 8/15/00 3:59 am Tom H. wrote:
Good idea. It might have to be a little more clever though, since 8 directionality is "lossy" in the sense that rotating a square 45 degrees cuts it off, so two successive rotations won't produce the desired result. Shouldn't be too hard to fudge, though.
I appreciate what you are saying, but if someone is using an 8 way dmi, they probably only really use the 16 pix radius circle in the middle anyway, as far as I'm concerned you can just dump whatever falls out of the box and top up with transparent.

I'm also adding a circle tool if that helps any. Any other requests?
Yes, very useful.
I'm not sure how much demand there would be for this, but how about allowing a save of the custom colour map? This would let you easily organise your world colours (this would be really nice if that data could be included in the environment file, so it loaded every time you worked on a specific 'world'.
In response to Guy T.
It would be extra-nice if the generated icon states were automatically given names like "1_1" for the lower left corner and "3_4" (or whatever) for the upper right corner. This would make it very easy to implement, say, Gabriel's idea of scanning in a whole big map. (I guess it depends on how many icon states an icon can hold, too... is it the magic number 65535?)

But then, once that was implemented, you'd have people screaming for a way to auto-expand the icon in the map editor so we can see what we're working on... in the map example, the area icon would be the base map, or alternately, it would be a base turf and then after expansion it would underlay more specific types of turfs with invisible icons.

Oh well. For the moment, I'd be perfectly content with just the ability to cut up bmp's into icon states!
In response to Guy T.
On 8/15/00 8:01 am Guy T. wrote:
Oh well. For the moment, I'd be perfectly content with just the ability to cut up bmp's into icon states!

Barring that... are we going to be able to paste into the icon editor from a non-BYOND program someday?

Z
In response to Al
On 8/15/00 7:29 am Al wrote:

I appreciate what you are saying, but if someone is using an 8 way dmi, they probably only really use the 16 pix radius circle in the middle anyway, as far as I'm concerned you can just dump whatever falls out of the box and top up with transparent.

Agreed. My concern would be those who want to use the little rotater tools for 90 degree rotations (ie- for 4-directional guys) If we made them have 45 degree increments than the intermediate rotations would crop the end result. So there would either have to be a separate tool, a separate setting ("Rotate by 45 degrees"), or some temporary storage. But none of this is too important-- we'll work something out.

I'm not sure how much demand there would be for this, but how about allowing a save of the custom colour map? This would let you easily organise your world colours (this would be really nice if that data could be included in the environment file, so it loaded every time you worked on a specific 'world'.

It's been a while since I checked, but I think you can overwrite the default colormap to a file (it's in the icon options somewhere). I'm certain that you can't save separate colormaps, but that is easy to add in. Noted.
In response to Guy T.
On 8/15/00 8:01 am Guy T. wrote:

But then, once that was implemented, you'd have people screaming for a way to auto-expand the icon in the map editor so we can see what we're working on... in the map example, the area icon would be the base map, or alternately, it would be a base turf and then after expansion it would underlay more specific types of turfs with invisible icons.

Yes. The subsequent feature creep is a concern. If we don't get around to supporting big icons correctly, I'd like to at least cludge it on the map-editor. For instance, it would be quite easy to represent large fixed icons (ie- for turfs, areas) as blocks of tiles. From the user's perspective, it would act just like a big icon on the map, but internally we would be generating different tiles for the different icon states. The problem is fairly tricky though and the better alternative of just supporting bigger tiles might not be too far away (not to mislead; neither of these things will happen too soon).

That's pretty simple to do. These little things are adding up, though!
In response to Zilal
On 8/15/00 8:50 am Zilal wrote:

Barring that... are we going to be able to paste into the icon editor from a non-BYOND program someday?

Yes, and in the next release too! Guy T. nagged me about this one a while ago and it was too sensible to pass up.

Unrelated, but as an extra bonus Z, Dan just coded up the case insensitivity for client commands (eg, "get apple" == "get Apple") See, we do listen!
In response to Tom H.
Yes. The subsequent feature creep is a concern. If we don't get around to supporting big icons correctly, I'd like to at least cludge it on the map-editor. For instance, it would be quite easy to represent large fixed icons (ie- for turfs, areas) as blocks of tiles. From the user's perspective, it would act just like a big icon on the map, but internally we would be generating different tiles for the different icon states.

I was envisioning something along the "blocks of tiles" line, but it wouldn't even have to act like a big icon. You'd lay down a single turf, preloaded with diced icon states, and then click an "expand" option; at that point, the map editor would look at it and say "Okay, the upper right corner state is 3_4," and draw a 3x4 block of turfs to the northeast of (and including) that base turf. After the expansion, the newly-created instances would behave just as normal, individual turfs, differing only in icon state.

These little things are adding up, though!

Yep, but it never hurts to have more stuff on the wish list. I promise I won't suddenly sour on BYOND if my pet requests don't make it in anytime soon. :)
In response to Tom H.
On 8/15/00 2:00 pm Tom H. wrote:
Yes, and in the next release too! Guy T. nagged me about this one a while ago and it was too sensible to pass up.

Unrelated, but as an extra bonus Z, Dan just coded up the case insensitivity for client commands (eg, "get apple" == "get Apple") See, we do listen!

That's great news! Thank you.

Z