ID:138452

These aren't impairative at the moment, but they'd be nice to have. First of all, the luminosity I noticed, only appears when the mob or obj is in your view. I wondered if maybe it could be adjusted so you could see someone's light radius before they came into view. Another thing was that the BYOND client doesn't save the state of the icon settings. I like to see things big and its annoying having to go to the menu and select it every time. One last thing that I think might help with the loading speeds of worlds would be some way of precaching the icons and sounds, or have that an option. It really slows down the gaming experience for people to have to wait for the icons to load up any time they come into a new area. (sorry I'm notorious for having myriad icons, then again I can't say much for Destiny Online :)) and lastly, I still can't get my verbs to function in my magespells list. I have my system set up just like your code snippet. I think normal lists function different from the contents variable. Anyways, thanx again, and by the way I'm all for the shared advertising and things!
On 8/3/00 7:22 pm DerDragon wrote:
These aren't impairative at the moment, but they'd be nice to have. First of all, the luminosity I noticed, only appears when the mob or obj is in your view. I wondered if maybe it could be adjusted so you could see someone's light radius before they came into view.

Good point. Also, the luminosity doesn't "smooth move" properly when centered on the player.

Another thing was that the BYOND client doesn't save the state of the icon settings. I like to see things big and its annoying having to go to the menu and select it every time.

I take it you are running a world with view>5, right? Those default to small icons. I'll make a client setting to control this.

One last thing that I think might help with the loading speeds of worlds would be some way of precaching the icons and sounds, or have that an option. It really slows down the gaming experience for people to have to wait for the icons to load up any time they come into a new area.

That's odd. The resources should all load at the beginning of the game (with priority given to those in view). They are cached in the world.rsc file, so unless they change then the user should only have to download them one time (and can even do this manually, via the "Import resource" menu item). So there is either a glitch in the upload mechanism or the lag you are seeing is due to something else.

and lastly, I still can't get my verbs to function in my magespells list. I have my system set up just like your code snippet. I think normal lists function different from the contents variable.

I guess I'll need to see what you are doing. There is a minor limitation with user defined lists being the "src" of objects; that is, you can't currently do:

obj/verb/test()
set src in mylist() // some user defined list

but have to do a general filter:

obj/verb/test()
set src in world // or usr, usr.contents, etc

So you may run into problems if you are doing something like this. I should check to see what kind of warnings we give in this case.