ID:138465

Can anyone offer any hints and tips for making good graphics in BYOND. Oh yeah and are there any web pages with more BYOND info out there?
Can anyone offer any hints and tips for making good graphics in BYOND.

Look around the 'net for 32x32 icon libraries... there are a ton of them. The icon editor can import BMP files, so if you can find icons in a common graphics format and convert them to BMP, you're all set. Even if you don't want to use icons from the Net, they can be worth looking at, just to get ideas about how to make good pictures in a small grid.
This may sound absurd, but for some of my objects and mobs I used a 3d rendering program and just set the resolution to 32 x 32. I know its pretty extreme, and it doesn't help much when you're trying to do overlays.,(I made my characters 2D again) but when you want objects with a lot of color and you don't want to draw all the separate directions, it comes in handy. By the way, working on Maeva I've come up with a HUGE library of icons, most people would probably notice if they used my demo, hehe. If someone wants me to put it up I'd be more than happy to. I just don't know where I'd stick it.
On 7/28/00 11:19 am Justin wrote:
Can anyone offer any hints and tips for making good graphics in BYOND?

Yep. Don't draw anything unless you're good at it ;-)

Seriously, though, the best way to draw things is to use an external program like PSP, or draw them in an ordinary paint program and retouch them with photo-retouching software (my favorite is Ulead PhotoImpact). Both can give you a professional edge. Then its simple to convert the files into bitmap format, break them up or shrink them into 32x32 tiles, and then import them into the icon editor. I always just use my own freehand drawing in my games, though.

(A good freeware program for breaking them up can be found here, along with my .grd file here. Just open an image, load the byond.grd file, and then process the image. There are other utilities out there that can do this sort of thing too, but most aren't free. I think there's another one that is free and pretty good too, but I forgot its name... Manifacae uses it, maybe you can ask him.)

Oh yeah and are there any web pages with more BYOND info out there?

Mine is, sorry to say, a little, er, in progress, so I haven't finished any of the oodles of things I was planning on having in it. According to my calculations I was going to have 160 pages describing my games alone, and another 50 or so containing various tips, tricks, and processes. I'm also planning on putting a Free For All Links Page, a couple of utilities (eventually; it isn't a priority now), and a few tutorials.