ID:138472

Anybody else having trouble logging in to their world or into byond://dantom to upload files?

Sometimes it just hangs at
Trying dantom.com:6000
On 7/23/00 8:54 pm Manifacae wrote:
Anybody else having trouble logging in to their world or into byond://dantom to upload files?

I also think something's up with deleting and uploading files. I deleted dbz.dmb and uploaded another copy of it
but the upload happened instantly(I have cable but it CAN'T be that fast).
In response to Manifacae
On 7/23/00 8:57 pm Manifacae wrote:

I also think something's up with deleting and uploading files. I deleted dbz.dmb and uploaded another copy of it
but the upload happened instantly(I have cable but it CAN'T be that fast).

That's because it wasn't really uploaded again -- the Byond server does some funky stuff where it doesn't really delete the file right away, and if you attempt to upload the exact same file you just deleted (meaning the file hasn't changed in any way), then it just uses the one you had previously.

Dan added a few helpful messages to the server, but it could use some more. In cases like this it should tell you what it's doing -- otherwise (as I know from experience!) you sit there trying to figure out what the heck is going on and assume everything is broken.
In response to Manifacae

but the upload happened instantly

Yeah, we've seen this one before. I'll bug Dan about it.

(I have cable but it CAN'T be that fast).

Cable is pretty speedy. You should consider hosting the world on your own machine, so you don't have to deal with the dantom server at all. I fired off an email to you regarding the procedure.
Anybody else having trouble logging in to their world or
into byond://dantom to upload files?

I've been having problems where I try to connect to a world or address and nothing seems to happen. I try to log onto a local world and nothing seems to happen. I just end up closing the client down and trying again which usually fixes it.

- -
In response to Tom H.
On 7/23/00 9:26 pm Tom H. wrote:

but the upload happened instantly

Yeah, we've seen this one before. I'll bug Dan about it.

(I have cable but it CAN'T be that fast).

Cable is pretty speedy. You should consider hosting the world on your own machine, so you don't have to deal with the dantom server at all. I fired off an email to you regarding the procedure.

I would but it's WAY to weak to handle all those players
at once.
In response to Manifacae
at once.

300 times as fast as an ordinary 56 kilobits-per-second modem is too weak? Heck, I'd hate to see just how many players you really expect to have if you can't handle that bandwidth. I don't think any game out there runs slowly on cable... a network on Pentium 75's at my school had direct hard-lines to each computer and even that was slower than a cable modem (not much slower, though).

And if it really is too slow, you should bug your ISP for that; it probably means they've overloaded your cable network with too many permanent connections.

(Didn't think I knew a lot about networking, did you? Heh, I'm already learning how to set up a Unix and a Linux box ;-)

In response to Manifacae
I also think something's up with deleting and uploading files. I deleted dbz.dmb and uploaded another copy of it but the upload happened instantly(I have cable but it CAN'T be that fast).

That's because the server keeps the file in RAM, and if its the same, it simply recopies it from RAM to the directory, saving the wonderfully pleased (read: confused) user a lot of time.

Good old file sharing techniques. You'd think they could invent a few more FTP server codes for that sort of thing =)

In response to Spuzzum
On 7/23/00 11:29 pm Spuzzum wrote:
at once.

300 times as fast as an ordinary 56 kilobits-per-second modem is too weak? Heck, I'd hate to see just how many players you really expect to have if you can't handle that bandwidth. I don't think any game out there runs slowly on cable... a network on Pentium 75's at my school had direct hard-lines to each computer and even that was slower than a cable modem (not much slower, though).

And if it really is too slow, you should bug your ISP for that; it probably means they've overloaded your cable network with too many permanent connections.

(Didn't think I knew a lot about networking, did you? Heh, I'm already learning how to set up a Unix and a Linux box ;-)

It's not the modem that's the problem it's my computer. I have trouble running the game locally. Can you imagine what it would be like if I tried to HOST a game?!! AAAAAAAH!
In response to Manifacae
It's not the modem that's the problem it's my computer. I have trouble running the game locally. Can you imagine what it would be like if I tried to HOST a game?!! AAAAAAAH!

Local trouble might be because you're trying to run a file in a dir with spaces. It seems to interpret them as carriage returns for some odd reason, messing up the directory given.

Nothing seems to have fixed that bug, so I've given up on it (unless Tom wants to pursue it further...?).

Too tired to copy and paste my logo,
Spuzzum