ID:138479

To Dantom:
Hey, Dantom, you should've let the guy speak, so I could steer him in the right direction... though that last post was slightly uncalled for as well (and my reply was a little more offensive than I had originally planned), at least he was taking a step towards trying to see the benefits of using this program.

To The Person Who Dislikes BYOND:
BYOND is a tool designed for the average person. If you think its too limiting because you know C++, then by all means forget about it and go program in C++ instead. Nothing is forcing you to stay around this site, yet you do... obviously that must mean something. Several of these people on this site already know C++. I know a large portion of the concepts of C++, and I'm still learning. We don't stick around because we're too lazy, we stick around to explore new methods of programming, and new ways of communicating our ideas.

As a language, in my opinion, BYOND is like a toned-down C++ for beginners. Others might see it as a method of doing things faster. Others might see it as a powerful language in its own right. I like it because its quite a tidy little package, and its a lot easier to handle than C++, which can cause devastating errors to your system when you forget to free up memory and the like. BYOND has failsafes; C++ does not. My parents were reluctant to buy me C++; but when I downloaded BYOND and told them about it, they thought it was quite neat. I got BYOND about 9 months after I began learning C++, which means I wasn't too lazy to learn C++, but rather, to continue using it.

I'm proud of what Dan and Tom have accomplished in the some 5 years they've been working on this. It went a long way from what it was a while ago; if you came around just last year even, many of your complaints would be justified.

So, I depart from my original defensiveness, and instead try to speak to you on equal terms, hoping that you'll change your mind, and see the good parts instead of the bad.

P.S. Kindness goes a long way -- society has enough problems, it would be a lot better if the internet wasn't home to them as well.
On 7/21/00 1:44 am Spuzzum wrote:
To Dantom:
Hey, Dantom, you should've let the guy speak, so I could steer him in the right direction... though that last post was slightly uncalled for as well (and my reply was a little more offensive than I had originally planned), at least he was taking a step towards trying to see the benefits of using this program.

I don't particularly care if anyone wants to slam this system. Like any product, it has its flaws and we are constantly working to repair them.

I will not, however, tolerate this board being a haven for trolls. This guy mainly pisses me off because I've had to take out some coding time to put in some ip-address tracking features to prevent future recurrences.

I also don't want to see another language battle erupt. There are people who like Perl, people who like Java, people who like C++, and people who like DM. Trying to convince one person that a particular language is better than another one is like trying to convince them that one religion is superior to another one. Let's not go there.

As I said before, the best thing about this project is the fact that the community is so supportive and that the banter here tends to be quite productive. I would like to keep things that way.

That's the last I'll say about this.
In response to Tom H.
That's the last I'll say about this.

Though I'm now officially without your support on this one, my offer to this individual still stands. Take some time to learn the language; you might learn something useful in the process.

It may be true that some people never change. I'm hoping it isn't.

In response to Spuzzum
It may be true that some people never change. I'm hoping it isn't.

For some reason this strikes me as relevant:

Q. How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

A. One, but the light bulb has to really want to change.
In response to Guy T.
On 7/21/00 5:33 am Guy T. wrote:
For some reason this strikes me as relevant:

Q. How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

A. One, but the light bulb has to really want to change.

Exactly. Most of these kinds of people aren't looking for anything more than an argument and some attention; It's about stroking one's ego.

Generally, the best thing to do is simply ignore these kinds of posts. Absolutly no responses is the best way to discourage more of these kinds of posts. Of course, on an open forum of more than three people, this is hard (if next to impossible) to do.

- -
In response to Tom H.
On 7/21/00 1:59 am Tom H. wrote:
This guy mainly pisses me off because I've had to take out some coding time to put in some ip-address tracking features to prevent future recurrences.

Out of curiousity, how effective is IP tracking these days?

I guess if someone is using DSL...but if using a normal ISP I'm not sure it does anything -- could it keep others from that ISP from accessing the site?
In response to Deadron
On 7/21/00 10:26 am Deadron wrote:
Out of curiousity, how effective is IP tracking these
days?

I guess if someone is using DSL...but if using a normal
ISP I'm not sure it does anything -- could it keep others
from that ISP from accessing the site?

I've found it to be pretty much useless; there are so many ways around IP blocks, not the least of which is simply changing ISPs. One of the easiest ways around IP blocks is to use a proxy server. There are thousands of anonymmous proxy servers that are spread throughout the world which allow anyone to use, sometimes for free sometimes for a price. Most of them are hidden as they are primarily tools for hackers and spammers, but if one really wants to find one it's not that difficult.

<FONT COLOR=#66FF00>For $30 a month, <FONT COLOR=#FF0000>YOU TOO!</FONT> can be anonymous! Just click HERE!</FONT>
There are even some out there that are free, I just wouldn't trust them with my computer. Of course, I deal mostly with penatration and spamm attacks and not with Joe Schmuck browsing programming cites looking to spam a few messages boards.

Gabriel, who's still drugged or would probably not be replying to this thread again.