ID:1385651

Not Feasible
Applies to:Global

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Hey everyone,

A simple suggestion, allowing users to change their BYOND keys.

Why?
I think this would be a little bit better for everyone, instead of having to make multiple accounts for a name they like or they've already done this and they want to switch.

It also helps save a couple dollars, so if not a free service - charge like $4 or something. Win/Win
It's been proposed before and struck down as not feasible each time. The key system is not set up to allow for keys to easily be changed, and it presents a massive security issue due to games and authentication revolving around the key system.
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
It's been proposed before and struck down as not feasible each time. The key system is not set up to allow for keys to easily be changed, and it presents a massive security issue due to games and authentication revolving around the key system.

There could be a service where you pay and they'll change it manually in up to 24 hours..?
No point, to be honest. If you're that desperate, just pull a Whybe.
In response to Krozy
I suppose changing it manually would work, but it still doesn't clear up the security issues involved.
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
I suppose changing it manually would work, but it still doesn't clear up the security issues involved.

There has to be some way around it, it could bring in a income to them.

Vrocaan wrote:
No point, to be honest. If you're that desperate, just pull a Whybe.

Whybe? ._.
In response to Krozy
Make a new account with the same style of name, type in the same manner, and beg for a membership.
In response to Vrocaan
And then make another one and pretend you aren't the same person on another new key; until you get sick of denying who you are to people and go back to the second key. Correct?

Almost forgot to place my input on the feature request, lol. I don't mind the idea, but it's not something I would care to use. There are many sites that offer account name changes for a price in a shallow attempt at making profits.(XBL does this, I think)
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
This would cause a bit of database inconsistency and bring up a slew of technical issues, it's definitely not something that would work properly without a ton of work, which in the end, probably isn't worthwhile.
Changing key names has only been done on very rare occasions that were extremely special circumstances, and also in those cases happened to deal with keys that hadn't been in use for quite some time. Technically it's just a matter of making two little changes and everything should fall into place; but we have no simple mechanism setup to do this, because it's something we avoid doing, so it has to be done manually. The key system wasn't built to have that level of flexibility.

We've tended to be quite a bit more flexible, however, on transferring memberships. It's something we don't want to do constantly, but it's been done by special request before.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Changing key names has only been done on very rare occasions that were extremely special circumstances, and also in those cases happened to deal with keys that hadn't been in use for quite some time. Technically it's just a matter of making two little changes and everything should fall into place; but we have no simple mechanism setup to do this, because it's something we avoid doing, so it has to be done manually. The key system wasn't built to have that level of flexibility.

We've tended to be quite a bit more flexible, however, on transferring memberships. It's something we don't want to do constantly, but it's been done by special request before.

Oh okay! I'd like a membership transfer x_X
Membership transfers are generally only done within the first month or so of membership. From the looks of things your membership is around four months old now. Really depends on your reason though.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Membership transfers are generally only done within the first month or so of membership. From the looks of things your membership is around four months old now. Really depends on your reason though.

Well I already renewed it, I pretty much wanted to move it to a new key due to some personal issues.
In response to Krozy
Changing your key won't help that, to be honest.
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
Changing your key won't help that, to be honest.

It would in the sense of remaining anonymous from some people, the personal issues rely on the name currently.
In response to Krozy
They probably rely more on your practices and operations.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
They probably rely more on your practices and operations.

No. I already dropped that project, go move on somewhere else you narc.
We're quite happy to explain more about why this is not feasible, but you guys should take whatever more personal discussions you're having to the pager. This isn't really the place for that kind of thing.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
We're quite happy to explain more about why this is not feasible, but you guys should take whatever more personal discussions you're having to the pager. This isn't really the place for that kind of thing.

I actually didn't expect him to come in here and be immature like that which is why I shot back. Anyways, I'm probably going to request a membership transfer if it's possible at all so this thread isn't needed any longer