ID:138573

Well I just uploaded my first update to my world in a couple of months, and as I used my new functionality I was reminded how cool Byond is.

My guide building functionality simultaneously makes use of the browser, the panels, input windows, and the ability to change the attributes of turfs on the fly.

Without much work, I've been able to put together an amazingly useful interface (haven't even had to stoop to forms).

I will be stretching savefile sizes...I've currently elected to save all my images in one savefile, and it's already a quarter of a meg...
Sounds great! I'll have to check it out.

You mentioned savefiles ... did you ever resolve that problem you were having earlier? We're finally attempting a ceasefire on new features so as to maintain stability, so I want to make sure that the especially error-prone methods (like savefiles) are working okay.
In response to Tom H.
On 5/31/00 1:08 am Tom H. wrote:

You mentioned savefiles ... did you ever resolve that problem you were having earlier? We're finally attempting a ceasefire on new features so as to maintain stability, so I want to make sure that the especially error-prone methods (like savefiles) are working okay.

No, it will take some work to put together a sensible test-case, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

It won't be very interesting to log into NewWorld -- nothing really there right now, and only guides have access to various zones and to building functionality.
In response to Deadron
On 5/31/00 2:32 am Deadron wrote:
On 5/31/00 1:08 am Tom H. wrote:

No, it will take some work to put together a sensible test-case, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

It won't be very interesting to log into NewWorld -- nothing really there right now, and only guides have access to various zones and to building functionality.

I should mention that I mis-typed when I said file size was the problem. What I really meant was that number of entries might be the problem...
In response to Deadron
This may or may not be related, and I'm too lazy to check the old postings...

Were you working on a method of saving/loading the current state of a game map as a .dmp-format file? If so, did you have any luck?
In response to Guy T.
On 5/31/00 7:57 am Guy T. wrote:
This may or may not be related, and I'm too lazy to check the old postings...

Were you working on a method of saving/loading the current state of a game map as a .dmp-format file? If so, did you have any luck?

I implemented a save routine that worked, but never got around to a load routine. This is because I started playing with using a savefile to store a map, and found it to be such an easy way to do it that I never went back.

I'll post the save code in Code & Demos today...