ID:138646

Well, I'm up and running with Linux (though I really despise having to use Netscape...) and just downloaded the Linux version of the software.

No mapper, so I'm back to pure text :).
No mapper, so I'm back to pure text :).

You mean you don't find it fun and easy to edit the dmp file by hand? Ok, I admit that is an unfortunate limitation at the moment. (Hey, Tom, how about that X Windows version?)

Have you tried using an editor like Emacs or Jove that automatically jumps you to errors in your code when you compile? The compiler spits out error messages in the same format as the C compiler gcc, so most editors that have a compile mode should work automatically in this respect.
In response to Dan
On 4/12/00 9:37 am Dan wrote:
(Hey, Tom, how about that X Windows version?)
Have you tried using an editor like Emacs or Jove[...]

Re: editors
Not yet! I'll play around with them once I finnish playing around with the kernal and logon scripts :).

Actually, I haven't played with BYOND. I'm still tweeking out the system. For some reason lilo doesn't like me adding appends to the config script (Corel ignores it, Mandrake corrupts it). I'll have my Debian here in a day or two so have been holding off on actually doing anything with coding.

I second the motion for an X Windows version! Not that I'm a windows lover, but... I have to put the GIMP to work!

Gabriel
In response to Gabriel
Actually, I haven't played with BYOND. I'm still tweeking out the system. For some reason lilo doesn't like me adding appends to the config script (Corel ignores it, Mandrake corrupts it). I'll have my Debian here in a day or two so have been holding off on actually doing anything with coding.

I second the motion for an X Windows version! Not that I'm a windows lover, but... I have to put the GIMP to work!

Wow, your post would be completely hilarious if someone didn't know about Linux at all... fortunately, I've read up on it for some time now =)

(I'm considering making the switch to Linux as soon as they make all of the games I like for that OS... at least BYOND is on one of the most stable platforms out there!)
In response to Spuzzum
A lot of games have been ported to Linux, perhaps in not so legal terms.. For those that haven't, there are ways to emulate DOS/Windows.

Anyway, if you just want to play with Linux for a while, you can download LoopLinux and run it without even partitioning your hard drive.

-AbyssDragon