ID:1388472

I've been designing on paper, haven't done any coding yet. I would like to know if you guys think it's too slow. XP is percentage, so the bar is always 100.

The formula is currently:

D(10/P+M)

D is the Modifier for the difference in level.
P and M are Player and Monster levels respectively.

The modifier chart:
Level: Monsters level to player
Mod: the Modifier

Level Mod

+6 0
+5 100
+4 50
+3 33.3
+2 25
+1 20
0 16.7
-1 14.3
-2 12.5
-3 11.1
-4 10
-5 9.1
-6+ 0

I do have a simple formula if you guys want to check what it would be if a player were fighting their own level constantly. If you have a calculator or ya wanna check on google's graph, this is the formula for them fighting their own level, every level. 16.7(10/(2X))
There are too many variables that we can't see to really say whether or not it's balanced. We don't know how fast combat is, how relevant level differences are, or how the layout of your areas will mess with things.

Just playtest it and tweak as desired, not like it should be a huge amount of work to set up.
I guess the true question comes down to how many fights do you think a player should have to win between levels?

Should it be 10? 100? Settle on too few and, what's the point? Settle on too many, and the grind might become tedious.

So you have to really understand the value of the battles in your game. Are they quick and simple? Then it should take more to level up. Are they long, complicated, and drawn-out affairs? Then perhaps you shouldn't force your player through too many of them. And you have to also factor in frequency. Will the player be fighting battle after battle, or will they come a little spread out?

Anyway, once you get a good idea of how many battles should come between level increases, then you can tweak your XP gains to hit that average number.
SSGX brings up a point that is rarely actually understood in this community.

Numbers are meaningless without some sort of context by which to measure them.

Big numbers aren't better than small numbers, when the scales are different.

90 cents isn't better than one dollar. What matters is the yardstick by which your numbers are valued. In the case of fiat currencies, the value is measured against what real goods the paper and coinage can buy.

In combat systems, experience points aren't meaningful without knowing how hard they are to obtain, and how many you can expect to obtain from each act.
In response to Ter13
While I agree entirely with the point of your post, I'll give you 90 cents for every dollar you have any time you want...
Well if it's a pre-1960's pennies worth of 90 cents, I'd take that all day long. You can melt older pennies down and get more than a pennies worth of copper.
In response to MisterPerson
MisterPerson wrote:
Well if it's a pre-1960's pennies worth of 90 cents, I'd take that all day long. You can melt older pennies down and get more than a pennies worth of copper.

Only that's illegal, and we go strictly by the laws on BYOND. Especially concerning C&D's.