Darn - I wish that I wasn't totally clueless in this arena so that I could at least help make an informed search. As always, thank you for the quick reply.
I've spent some time today looking into the StretchRect() option. It's not working for me, but I want to find out why, so I'll do further delving into this.

Unfortunately this ate a lot of time I was planning to use to button up 508 today.
It'd be really nice if we could migrate to a shader-based rendering option in the next year. It would give you much better control over this kind of thing. I'm pretty good with HLSL and GLSL (if you decide to go OpenGL), Tom previously approached me asking to put me on standby for input on you guys' rendering system for the web client, I'd be more than happy to take a look under the hood if you ever wanted to approach that.
The webclient uses StageXL which I think can tap into extra WebGL stuff if I need it to (or it can be modified). I very much want to figure this out in DS, though.

My experiments with OpenGL in DS did not go well, but I set it aside for another day. In DirectX I think I can probably use the StretchRect() idea if I can get good debug output and figure out a workaround for whatever's ailing it. I may have some time to revisit that on Monday but my top priority for Monday is a 508 release.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I've spent some time today looking into the StretchRect() option. It's not working for me, but I want to find out why, so I'll do further delving into this.
Unfortunately this ate a lot of time I was planning to use to button up 508 today.

Ha, sorry about that. You can blame the delay of 508 on me as well as Ter13 now.

I went down the rabbit hole on this myself this afternoon just to see if I could come away with a basic understanding of the issue. From what I could gather it seems like StrethRect() is a viable route for many developers rendering 2D sprites. A lot of people were referring to detailed documentation about StretchRect() etc. that they found in various DirectX 9 books... If there are any relevant books that you don't own and you think might be helpful, please let me know and I'd be happy to purchase copies for you. At any rate, thank you very much for trying.
This is very high on my priority list because it's been requested by a lot of people, and because BYOND really excels at handling retro games.

I feel like I'm closer than I have been, but we'll see how it shakes out. It may well be the case that the solution I find won't work on old cards/drivers but will on newer ones (not super-new, I imagine), but that's just speculation at this point.
Don't know if this post helps at all and you've probably come across it but I figured I'd post it here anyways.
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10609
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

Looks like StretchRect() has issues with intel drivers. Or at least did, the post is a few years old.
Intel drivers in general have issues with DirectX, and it's unfortunate too because a lot of laptops and all-in-ones are advertising based on processor and completely fobbing off garbage intel "GPUs" (They are actually integrated only. Intel hasn't produced a real GPU since 1998) on unaware customers.

These chips are becoming increasingly common among casual gamers and second-world gamers.

Nobody should ever be gaming on an intel integration, and there's no point in supporting them. They are garbage through and through. If you are running intel for your graphics, it actually means you don't have a graphics card. It's the closest you can get to nothing on a modern machine.
In response to Ter13
It's not so bad to game on if your CPU is big enough to cover what the integrated GPU lacks. The i7 4700 actually seems to do a fair job with games. I typically see between 25 and 40 fps on medium graphics settings in most mainstream titles. Not as good as I'd like it, but certainly not unplayable, especially on a laptop.

But to be fair, I had the choice between the Quad i7 with no dedicated graphics, or a Dual i5 with 1GB graphics. Since I don't do much hardcore gaming and mostly need CPU power for my projects, not GPU power, I went with what I would be using more of.
It's pretty torturous if you ask me. I spilled water on my PC and miraculously only fried the GPU out of everything that could have gone wrong, so I've been dealing with gaming using only my Intel integrated graphics. I can't get even close to running a lot of games I'd love to play, and even older ones like Skyrim don't even get a consistent 30 fps on the lowest settings. I'm stuck playing older games, or my 3DS/Vita until I can afford the upgrade. I'm just lucky it works at all.
I support this feature.

I am pleased to report progress on this front. This is looking feasible for one of the 508 releases.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I am pleased to report progress on this front. This is looking feasible for one of the 508 releases.

Did you find a way to control the upscaling?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Did you find a way to control the upscaling?

Not exactly. What I did find was a way I could render to an intermediate surface, call StretchRect() using that as a source, then call Present(). For some reason this is failing miserably at zoom >= 6.5 when the zoom is not an integer (it's zooming in some really weird ways), but I think I can live with it.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

Just as I was moving to Unity Q.Q Fate has decided.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

Just as I was moving to Unity Q.Q Fate has decided.

One of us. One of us. One of us.
GOOBLE GOBBLE GOOBLE GOBBLE
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
GOOBLE GOBBLE GOOBLE GOBBLE

...That's... Amazingly relevant.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5