In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
I am pleased to report progress on this front. This is looking feasible for one of the 508 releases.

Just as I was moving to Unity Q.Q Fate has decided.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

The pixels, they've adapted to our interpolation!
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Maps now upscale using nearest-neighbor interpolation. (Transformed sprites are still handled separately.)
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

In response to Doohl
Points for the Enchanted gif.
Awesome job, this is working perfectly in 508.1290. The difference is pretty incredible.
Updated and as soon as I opened a project to test this it seemed fine (DreamSeeker), but if I changed the windows size it would black-screen.
Hrm. There may be limitations to this technique on different cards. I might have to put in some kind of common-sense limit on it so maybe it doesn't try to stretch to more than, say, 3x before using Present().
No issues at all here scaling to any size in exact multiples (haven't done stretch to fit much yet). If you're going to add a limit to the size then an option for the end user to toggle that restriction on and off would be much appreciated.
http://www.byond.com/games/Ter13/DawnCasterInfestation

If you wanted to test this new feature, please for the love of god download Dawncaster and give it a spin. if the game is super blurry in hardware mode, you need to post your hardware information here (graphics card chipset, operating system, etc.).

If you are running an Intel GPU that's probably why. You are likely running on a windows 8 surface tablet which has an integrated Intel graphics chip in the CPU.

Dawncaster is internally an 80x60 resolution, but it's upscaled 8x to 640x480 at the interface level. It is *the* ideal candidate for breaking this new feature, so if it's not going to work on your machine, this game will show that. (I also know for a fact that my upscaling method is correctly executed, which is more than what I can say for many of the test cases that are probably floating around out there.)
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
http://www.byond.com/games/Ter13/DawnCasterInfestation

If you wanted to test this new feature, please for the love of god download Dawncaster and give it a spin. if the game is super blurry in hardware mode, you need to post your hardware information here (graphics card chipset, operating system, etc.).

If you are running an Intel GPU that's probably why. You are likely running on a windows 8 surface tablet which has an integrated Intel graphics chip in the CPU.

Dawncaster is internally an 80x60 resolution, but it's upscaled 8x to 640x480 at the interface level. It is *the* ideal candidate for breaking this new feature, so if it's not going to work on your machine, this game will show that. (I also know for a fact that my upscaling method is correctly executed, which is more than what I can say for many of the test cases that are probably floating around out there.)

Looks waaaay better. Now all it needs is some mouse control and some refinement and it'd be crazyyyy good.
I have mouse control working in a private version and some new graphics tucked away at the moment, but the mouse control requires a DLL installed in the BYOND/bin directory, and to be honest, the strategy I'm using for getting mouse-locking working in DM is... Frankly probably considered malicious by any reasonable code standards.
Why a dll?

Is there limitation on screen objects in what you currently have?

If not, you could use that old hacky way of mouse detection that forum_account made up years ago, mixing up the screen objects and all that and using MouseEntred() I think? Something like that...

If not, you could use that old hacky way of mouse detection that forum_account made up years ago, mixing up the screen objects and all that and using MouseEntred() I think? Something like that...

The problem isn't mouse detection, it's that I can't perform a ClipCursor() operation to lock the mouse cursor to the boundaries of the screen. Currently if you scroll the mouse outside of the screen bounds, it ruins the mouse turning permanently. I wound up using a user32 C++ function to clip the mouse to the screen to enable mouse-turning. So really, without the ability to either move the mouse back to the center of the window every frame, or the ability to somehow get BYOND to ClipCursor() for me, I have to use a DLL as a hack.
Ahhh, I see. Yeah, that'd definitely cause some problems.

Calling Lummox JR!
To be honest, Dawncaster is the ONLY game on BYOND that could use mouse locking, and it'd complicate the hell out of all of the current mouse procs. So really, there's not much point to asking for the feature. People are far more likely to abuse the feature than use it well, and it's just too much work for Lummox to justify on enabling a game that only ~200 people have played and has zero multiplayer potential.

Even then, Dawncaster should have never been made with DM. It's barely a viable game as far as concepts go, and DM just plain isn't made to do something like this.

Even then, I attempted to write a proper 3D polygon renderer in DM to try to expand Dawncaster's map rendering beyond just walls, and I wound up discovering that more than about 200 textured quads aren't doable, and my new method of wallcasting that allowed non-tile based walls was just too much for the game to really handle.

I've been porting Dawncaster to C++ on my tuesday and wednesday nights recently, so it's really not a big deal.
In response to Ter13
Dawncaster looks perfect in hardware mode on my crappy laptop with integrated graphics. Software mode is nice and crisp although the colors are really off. Looks great Lummox. Thanks!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5