In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
I don't tend to use keyboard control for much of anything when I'm on the computer

Are you saying that you type using an on-screen keyboard?

In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
I don't tend to use keyboard control for much of anything when I'm on the computer

Are you saying that you type using an on-screen keyboard?

No. I open the character map, create a word, and copy+paste it to wherever it is needed. It makes DM programming...difficult. :)

Just kidding, of course. I use the keyboard to type. I'd call that more of an input method than a control method (yes, it's more-or-less the same thing, but there's a slight distinction)

I just mean I use very few of the keyboard shortcuts and navigation controls. For example, I've never used the Windows key or the context menu key. I also click in-focus buttons instead of hitting space or enter. In context or drop-down menus, I click options instead of using the underlined-letter shortcut. I only very rarely use tab to move focus to the next box in a form. And so on.

And I've never played or created a game that required text command input. (well, maybe I've played some back in the very distant past, as in Commodore 64 days or earlier)
Well anyway, perhaps I should make the distinction that /commands would only be practical in a game that includes a chat input. Otherwise it would be stupid to use such a method. But if there is a chat input, then it is kinda nice because you don't have to go about creating any new interface elements for your admin commands. Furthermore, you may have commands that are available to the basic user as well, but are obscure enough not to warrant an obvious HUD button or whatever.

As an admin I would personally prefer to type "/kick Magicsofa" than click on an admin button, click on the kick button, look for Magicsofa in the list, and then click "yes" in the "Are you sure?" alert...
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
As an admin I would personally prefer to type "/kick Magicsofa" than click on an admin button, click on the kick button, look for Magicsofa in the list, and then click "yes" in the "Are you sure?" alert...

Yeah, I don't dispute that command-line input is more convenient. I've just never made myself accustomed to controlling a computer/programs (of any kind) in that way, so for me it just wouldn't work.
Oh I thought you guys were talking about debug stuff - never thought about "admin" stuff like that.
Well the OP wasn't even talking about admin commands, just asking about whether to use HUD objects, or statpanels for the normal interface that all players use. Then Ralf1324 asked specifically what people do for admin stuff.

Debugging commands can be whatever the hell you want. There's really no reason to make those pretty or even easy to use, considering that only the developer(s) will use them. For that type of stuff I generally use a default input box, so I can quickly create or delete debugging verbs as needed. It's not necessarily "convenient" to type the verb in every time, but I usually am using it to figure out a specific problem and then it will be discarded.
Personally, on the issue of HUD's vs statpanels, neither are really the best way to go about it, but if I was forced to choose, HUD's are leaps and bounds over statpanels. With that being said, I prefer to only display information that's ABSOLUTELY essential to play the game without difficulty. If the player wants more detailed information about the situation, they can click a button that'll open up a menu.

That's something that seems to be almost missing from most BYOND games. There's nothing wrong with a popup menu to display everything like your inventory, status and in-game commands. Most commercial games implement this system, but it seems that most BYOND developers overlook those details pretty badly.

Commands that require a more immediate reaction from the player, like attacking or blocking, should be bound to the keyboard, or at least give the player the option too bind it. If it's not integral to gameplay, such as an 'emote' command or something, set it up in your input for "/emote [text]" and have it print out whatever. If you're any programmer worth half o' your weight in salt, you should be able to handle that pretty easily.

The easier your game is to navigate, the better the overall experience will be. I mean, shitty gameplay is still shitty gameplay, but at least it flows nicely.
Page: 1 2 3