ID:1395388

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It seems like the colors are dull or to light, any ideas?

I guess it ultimately depends on the look you're going for. An old, dusty/rusty, beat-up clunker of a ship might actually be dull. But most ships tend not to be (especially ones that look sleek and fast like that one), so they need to look shinier.

The trick to shiny is contrast. There needs to be a much greater difference between your lightest and darkest shades. (sometimes to the point where it ruins the "ramp"; there can be a nice gradual shift between the middle shades, but the two on the end need to be exaggerated, especially the light/highlight shade)

Like this?

or

Either one is an improvement. I think between those, I prefer the top one, but with the blue "windscreen" area from the bottom.

You could eve take it a little further, and make the dark shades just a little darker and/or the light shades a little lighter. Not by much (too big of a difference can ruin it)

The two next to each other. The one on the right I copied the "windscreen" over and made all the darker shades and base color like 2-4 points darker.
Definitely the one on the right now (at least in my opinion; others may disagree)

The only major issue left is in lighting direction. The shading on the green section implies a light source coming from the left, the shading on the blue implies a light source coming slightly from the right (from the one extra dark pixel on its left edge), while the rest of the ship (the brown) implies a light source directly overhead (because the wings are mirrored from each other in their shading; this is something like the dreaded "pillow shading" you might have seen people warning against)

It is important to select an angle for the light source, then be consistent in applying shading to all pieces of the work based on that (including having raised pieces cast shadows onto other surfaces; for instance, the green section is likely higher than the wings, and should be casting a shadow onto the wing opposite the light source)
I agree in regards to right one.

I am having troible doing the rounded area ill see what I can do.

Doing the rounded shading that's why there is the line of highlight to make the wings look curved.

I will try cylinder shading.

Does that fix the light coming from same direction?
In response to Akando5959
That definitely does set the lighting from one direction. That direction happens to appear to be directly in front of the ship (or maybe in front and raised a little). If that's the angle you're going for, then by all means.

Generally, most people push their light source off to one side (or to one of the top corners), but there's no rule that says your light source can't be dead ahead.
Awesome, its a space invader esq type of game so I figured straight on light would be best.
That's a small ship, what is it a ship for ants? XD