ID:1396277

I'm generally using this to chat, but it has applications for design, though that's not the intent.

See title.

Me? Not certain anymore, truth is.
The Stanley Parable.
I haven't played many odd games, but The Adventures Of Darwin on ps2 was pretty out there when i was a kid.
Did I just understand a post by Developous?

I played some pretty messed up NES games back in the day. I remember there was some kind of fortune telling game that was completely useless and lacked all replay value. That one was pretty weird. There were many messed up NES games — mostly because nobody really knew what good game design was.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Did I just understand a post by Developous?

I played some pretty messed up NES games back in the day. I remember there was some kind of fortune telling game that was completely useless and lacked all replay value. That one was pretty weird. There were many messed up NES games — mostly because nobody really knew what good game design was.

Aye, the NES was where most of the modern genres really emerged, followed by the SNES. By the time the PS1 came about, the genre lines had mostly been established.

As for weirdest game I've ever played? Gotta be King's Field, The Ancient City. It just had an air of mystery and while bland, kept me asking questions.
Training a giant monkey to hide behind trees and eat his own poop was weird...
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Training a giant monkey to hide behind trees and eat his own poop was weird...

Nobody wants to hear about your honeymoon.

Ooooh burrrrrn
I think that the weirdest game I've ever played might be Earthbound. Don't get me wrong, Earthbound (Mother 2) is an awesome game, but they did cram a lot of weird into it (which is a big part of its charm!)

Another weird one was "Panic!" on the Sega CD. Another awesome game, but with plenty of weirdness (for instance, a scene where drinking the wrong potion caused breasts to pop out of your body...all over)

But the weirdest game that I know of (but have never played) might be anything in the "Cho Aniki" series...
Tomba! 2. I played a demo of that game back when I was but a young grasshopper and to this day I still don't know what the hell was going on in that game. He was some pink-haired jungle dude who would transform into some weird flying-squirrel man and smack pigs in the face, I mean what is this I don't even?
Paca Plus, an Alpaca dating sim game.
Clinical Sodomy.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Paca Plus, an Alpaca dating sim game.

Nothing weird about that, stop trolling.

I would honestly have to say; some of these BYOND fan-game rips are just weird with their design choices. Probably simply because they lack the talent and/or know-how. I've seen really ugly pink and green blurry jagged interface/HUDs with two sources sloppily put together in a attempt to make something they personally liked, then somehow got people to help them that were slightly better than them to only come in, fix a bug; then leave. Ah, Bleach rip I cannot recall the name of; how you horrified me into not trying any other rips. Good thing, really. In the end, I guess.