ID:1398063

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Need C&C real quick. And is there a reason that people stick with 32x32 or 64x64 when it comes to base son BYOND? Like, are those the most compatible when making a game?
I'd try some sel-out to see if that's what you want you'd like to see. The proportions are that interesting. The character is very V shaped. The chest makes the character seem muscular but then he has thin arms. I'm not sure about the arms position on the side view. I have no idea why people stick to 32x or 64x. @_@ I choose 64 because for isometrics it's like having 32x for tiles.
In response to Candle_Jack_9000
I see what you mean, gonna go with a little less detail on the chest and mess with the arm on the side view a little. And do you think the head on the side view is out too far?
I looks kinda nice imo, the side view looks wonky tho. I'd suggest for the back you make it look so his head is not hunched forward and more relaxed. As for the side move his head back a bit and move the arms forward, with the legs.
In response to VixiV
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Less muscle tone on the chest, moved the head back on the side. I tried moving the arm up some more but it looked iffy, I don't know. And I wasn't sure how to make the head look more relaxed on the back.
much better.
Ozioso mentioned:
is there a reason that people stick with 32x32 or 64x64 when it comes to base son BYOND?

I usually use multiples of 10 in my projects, with a default icon size being 20x20 (other examples are 10x10, 30x20, 20x30, 40x40, etc).
I stick with 32/64 because it's base 2 - everything is a power of 2. Everything is able to be halved down to 1px.

Back on NES games, everything was made up of 8x8 bitmaps, which were combined to make larger sprites.
Well, I stick with 32 because it's the default, and back in my day, it was all we had! You whipper-snappers with your fancy variable icon sizes and bounding boxes and whatnot. Get off my lawn! lol
8x8 pixel master race
16x16 pixel master race.
Ozioso wrote:
And is there a reason that people stick with 32x32 or 64x64 when it comes to base son BYOND? Like, are those the most compatible when making a game?

The reason that 32x32 and 64x64 are popular, and 40x40 and odd numbers are not, is because 32 and 64 are both powers of 2.

2^0 = 1
2^1 = 2
2^2 = 4
2^3 = 8
2^4 = 16
2^5 = 32
2^6 = 64
2^7 = 128
2^8 = 256

And so on.

These sizes are popular because graphics hardware, at one time, expected texture data to be dimensionally a power of two, and to be square.

Largely, that requirement is gone, as graphics hardware now internally either buffers the textures loaded into it into the proper sizes, or just plain handles it differently.

But there's another reason that this is the standard:

Because your screen resolution is usually based on a factor of 2 as well, and thus numbers that divide that evenly are favored.

If I'm targeting a native 1024x768 resolution, 32x32 is 32 tiles wide, and 24 tiles tall. Offset that by half a tile to center a single tile on each axis, and your total buffered viewport will be 33x25.

BYOND games like to use bigger tile resolutions of 64x64 now, because they can, for one, and two, native resolution of most users is 1920x1080 or greater. Blitting a 60x34 viewing area is quite taxing in software mode, so users will often reduce the requirement to 30x17 using tiles that are twice the size.

Overall, gaming standard has been 16x16 being the tile basis for quite a long while, but most systems in the 80s have used 8x8 tiles to construct 16x16-based games. 32x32 was not nearly as widely used in the gaming industry as 8x8 and 16x16 were for a tile base. It does, however, work quite nicely for the reasons listed above.
In response to Ter13
Oh, well thanks.