ID:1398984

A little background:
Since May, I started running a little hosting Server some of you may know of. Probably not many of you, since I haven't heard of it being talked about, but, I guess some. I had a plan that didn't get fully noticed because I didn't explain it in full detail.

The plan:
My main goal for allowing free servers to be ran on this Server is to persuade both new and old programmers to make original games with good programming (0% CPU for the most part).

What are my chances?:
I could, in estimate, host about 100 small games no problem. That is, judging that they're all around 50-100MB in RAM; which is most of the games I am hosting right now. Some games go as far as a crazy 700-1000MB range. No clue why BYOND would ever go that high.. but heck.. It's not really bothersome, for now.

Interested?:
So, how many people would actually make an original game of their own unique idea, get a hub (regardless of if they have BYOND Memberships *hint hint* If you don't get it you're slow), stick with it, if they actually got free hosting?

Additional Info (Not fully important):
The only problem I have with hosting is the CPU consumption and nothing else. If you can program your game and make it so that my computer stays nice and quiet, instead of causing it to cough up the dust balls it's built up from being on for 3 years, then you can have a free server provided that it's original.

Anyone up for the challenge? :)

Need help?:
If you're new with no experience I have no problem helping out with small parts in my free time. If you're the type to give in easily, I give free slaps in the head to knock you back on course as well.
I'm very interested in it :D I'll have to contact you some time to talk and stuff.
Could you define what you mean by original? Non-fan game right?
I'd assume so, yes. That's usually what people mean when they say original, on BYOND.
While it isn't created by me, Lands of Legend is an entirely original game I work on now and then. Apparently you're familiar with it, and I believe you've hosted an older version of it for Decius Reln recently. The current hosting plan is about to expire, and I cannot afford to extend it right now.

Should I make an attempt at requesting service? On November 2, it will meet the requirement of not being hosted often, as it won't be hosted at all. It certainly counts as an old and unpopular game.
In response to Void Games
Void Games wrote:
Could you define what you mean by original? Non-fan game right?

Yes. Original games can't be based on anime's or TV shows. As more people are showing to be interested in this program I'm trying to get running I'll become more strict on the rules. I've been allowing some games based on very small shows that nobody knows about unless they've managed to come across it. Perhaps now I don't have to do that to get things moving anyone if people are showing some interest.

TheLionsRoar wrote:
Should I make an attempt at requesting service? On November 2, it will meet the requirement of not being hosted often, as it won't be hosted at all. It certainly counts as an old and unpopular game.

Yes, go for it. Decius Reln has gone missing for some reason. I still have his files on record though. It's been a few months since I've seen him. I wouldn't mind hosting LoL if you have access to the sources. The reason I say this is because if the game has a serious CPU issue, how will you resolve it? I think I've seen that LoL, the older version, was consuming around 10% CPU randomly when nobody is online. Probably NPCs. Most games run at 0%. So that's something to work towards if the problem hasn't been fixed in this newer version.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Yes, go for it.

Thank you. Expect a request from me within the next month.

Xirre wrote:
Decius Reln has gone missing for some reason. I still have his files on record though.

Apparently he had personal issues requiring resolving, but he is now back around BYOND working on a new project.

Xirre wrote:
I wouldn't mind hosting LoL if you have access to the sources. The reason I say this is because if the game has a serious CPU issue, how will you resolve it? I think I've seen that LoL, the older version, was consuming around 10% CPU randomly when nobody is online. Probably NPCs.

I do have access to the source. You were hosting an old version that is known for CPU issues from various causes. I'll be sure to clear up quite a lot of the CPU usage before I attempt hosting it.
Alright. Cool. Just put in an application and I'll review it when I get a chance.
Cooome ooon people. Accept Xirre's offer as you work on your new games. Xirre is a quality member, and I know he'll be a valuable service to your game.
Thanks...
Just a question, how many spots do you have left?
As I count right now, I'm hosting 17 games. Plus I'm using Windows Vista on a Virtual Machine with 2GB of RAM and 100% CPU Limit on my CPU (That's 1 whole core out of 4). I have 8GB of RAM and a 2.7GHz 4-Core Processor. Games run smooth. I'm currently running a game of my own that has 30 - 70 players on it daily. Runs fine too, other than the CPU. When it hits 30 players the CPU gets to 20%. But it doesn't go much higher than that at 70 players. I'm using it partially to advertise Shell Server. :) Hopefully it goes well and some people take interest in this offer. If I ever need more CPU or RAM, I can always give up my gaming and shutdown my virtual machine, freeing up my processor and allowing the games to run smoothly again.

Just from counting quickly, All 17 of those games take up no more than 2GB of RAM Total. The well programmed games run at 0% all day. CPU isn't a problem, RAM is. And I hope to upgrade soon by purchasing that new computer when everything is stable (money).

--

To answer your question... A lot.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
As I count right now, I'm hosting 17 games. Plus I'm using Windows Vista on a Virtual Machine with 2GB of RAM and 100% CPU Limit on my CPU (That's 1 whole core out of 4). I have 8GB of RAM and a 2.7GHz 4-Core Processor. Games run smooth. I'm currently running a game of my own that has 30 - 70 players on it daily. Runs fine too, other than the CPU. When it hits 30 players the CPU gets to 20%. But it doesn't go much higher than that at 70 players. I'm using it partially to advertise Shell Server. :) Hopefully it goes well and some people take interest in this offer. If I ever need more CPU or RAM, I can always give up my gaming and shutdown my virtual machine, freeing up my processor and allowing the games to run smoothly again.

Just from counting quickly, All 17 of those games take up no more than 2GB of RAM Total. The well programmed games run at 0% all day. CPU isn't a problem, RAM is. And I hope to upgrade soon by purchasing that new computer when everything is stable (money).

--

To answer your question... A lot.

BYOND itself is pretty slow compared to other engines / languages although it is very convenient and fun for first time developers I don't think a well developed game will stay at a low CPU with lots of players.

I'm thinking you mean empty servers run at 0% no offence but with those specs you won't be running many popular games.

Heck my PoS PC has 32gb of ram and a quad core @ 4GHz I could run a lot more but honestly is it worth it?

No because people can find hosting for dirt cheap for BYOND games at least small ones hell your electric bill is prob about 10x more than what they would have to pay for a really low end vps that could run their games you're running.

But it is nice that you try to encourage people on originality.

But BYOND has been going for over a decade with very slight change in it's trend on fan games I don't think it will ever change unless BYOND itself changes drastically to draw in a new crowd of developers(not 10-15 year olds) no offence.. Which it HAS started to do some things with the latest updates I'm very impressed so far and plan to donate a bit more money when I have some spare cash laying around.
Main purpose of this post is to get people interested in making original games. And the games that are at 0% have a decent amount of players.

If properly coded, any game can have minimal CPU like this with a lot of players as well. A lot of those "popular" games are games that don't really focus on minimizing the amount of times a proc is called. Instead, they keep pressing forward to add new features to make their game look nice and not run nice. I'm trying to point out in this post that they also need to make it run nice.
In response to Xirre
Which popular games are you talking about?

Most are actually incredibly optimized (with the exception of maybe SS13, but they don't try to 'make their game look nice' at all) as far as I've seen.
Dragon Universe - Does nothing to bandwidth but can be a terror to CPU when it hits 50 - 80 players. (Shut it down though)
SAO - Sucked up bandwidth. Not much along the line of CPU. Could use preload_rsc.
Some game called Baruto - Sucked up bandwidth and was a monster against CPU with 16 - 30 players online.

These are some paid for servers as well. Not the free ones. So they can be capped off at like 45% CPU and such. Not entirely "optimized" either. Most games on BYOND don't even get to see 10 players. Some can reach 30. Rarely do you see 80 people on one server.
Paid for. I don't even bother with them when they pay for it.

If you want a free one, then just abide by the rules. No anime.

Goku, you should know how my rules work. You visited before. o.O

--

And he deletes his post. q_q
In response to Xirre
Oh, you're talking about anime games? Those are always going to be inherently terrible, so they don't count. I was talking about the games on the front page.
I can tell the future too!
Oh, those should be file. I'm not entire sure about Rise of the Pirates. But, that's just a guess.

Eternia looks heavy but it may also be nice to a computer.
Page: 1 2