ID:1399010

Resolved
The DirectX driver was falling back into software mode in some cases where it could have been avoided.
BYOND Version:501.1214
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro
Web Browser:Chrome 30.0.1599.69
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Upon trying out atom.blend_mode and checking out the new features, I noticed that when my example loads, the objects created will sometimes not blend correctly (usually a 50/50 chance the blending will not change appropriately). This may possibly be on account of some sort of client/world mis-communication (hardware graphics turned off?).

The example used can be found here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14221897/files/ Experiments/FlameTest.zip

Take note that the blend_mode is set at compile time. Particles in the flame will either be blending or not, but all of them will have the same blend setting.

Must have 501.1214 to compile
This doesn't happen for me in repeated tests. I do believe that something on your system is pulling it out of hardware mode though, so I'm checking to see what that could be. It's hard to spot without having the same thing happen myself, but this is probably similar to another fix I did in the 500 series, possibly just something that needs shoring up.
Another user messaged me on the pager saying that it's happening for him too. So I suppose it might be doing this for many more. We'll have to wait and see.
I have a tentative fix I'll be putting in place for this in the next build. Curiously your demo also highlighted another problem which I'm investigating now.
Which problem is that?
Nevermind I think this is tied to the showcase thread.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The DirectX driver was falling back into software mode in some cases where it could have been avoided.
I actually dealt with this in 501.1215, but forgot to close it. The difference may not be noticeable with the flame test however because additive blends are supported in software mode as of that same build.