Event Oct 26 2013, 12:52 pm ID:1406839

Thank you to everyone that spent the time to submit an entry. It was an awesome thing to follow and I had a good time playing through the submissions. I hope to host a similar contest down the line.

DarkCampaigner's Reviews!

SuperAntx's Reviews!

Writing A New One's Reviews!

Total Scores

Inception - Prologue
by Albro1 and A2JTIWARI
34/65
http://www.byond.com/games/A2J2TIWARI/Inception

BYOND DEV-SIM 2013
by Jittai
35/65
http://www.byond.com/games/Jittai/BYONDDevSim2013

Untitled
by Enic, Liight, and VixiV
38/65

The One Journey
by Exentriks
37/65

Arcane Fifth place!-- $30 Awarded
by Orange55
42/65
http://www.byond.com/games/Orange55/Arcane

500 Fourth place!-- $60 Awarded
by Ishuri, Zane444, and SulLight
44/65

500 Fathoms Third place!-- $90 Awarded
by SuperSaiyanGokuX
52/65
http://www.byond.com/games/SuperSaiyanGokuX/500Fathoms

Phloem Second place!-- $120 Awarded
by MagicSofa
55/65
http://www.byond.com/games/Magicsofa/Phloem

The Darklord First place!-- $200 Awarded
by Megablaze
56/65
http://www.byond.com/games/Megablaze/TheDarklord

Congratulations to the top five! To collect your prize, page me your PayPal e-mail address. It will be sent as soon as I've read your message. If you worked in a team, please provide the e-mail addresses of all members for a split prize (unless your team wishes otherwise).

Thanks to all. It was a pleasure.
I should point out in AntX's review my fade effect was in fact documented - it was the only effect documented. Anyway, thanks for the C&C.

I'd say DC got the point of my entry.
Oops, I thought Overall was a separate category! X.X

Oh well, thanks for hosting WANO, and congrats to the winners!

I hope all of you strongly consider continuing your games, as they had a lotta good ideas in them :)
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
I should point out in AntX's review my fade effect was in fact documented - it was the only effect documented. Anyway, thanks for the C&C.

You pointed out where you used the effect, but you provided no documentation for how it was achieved. The spirit of the competition was coming up with uses for animate() and sharing how you did it.
Excellent contest, everyone! I would have liked to see more entries completed (especially compared to the number of people who threw their hats into the ring originally; but I guess that's usually how it goes with these things), but we still got a lot of really cool entries! (and perhaps some of those that didn't finish in time will keep working regardless? hint hint)

I gotta say that I had a lot of fun playing with the new features. BYOND 500 offers so much in the way of adding graphical glitz, and it was great to come up with cool ways to use it. Not just animate(), but the other new elements (like matrices, transform, the color var, etc.) open up all kinds of neat effects.

And to the reviewers (at least in regards to my entry); you're all pretty dead-on in your assessments, and I *am* working on the game's less-than-ideal aspects.

One thing that I want to point out, though; the creatures in the game offering very little threat was a cheap way to heighten the sense of "playing the villain"...lol They're all more or less innocents that you're slaughtering just to gain power. :)
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Jittai wrote:

You pointed out where you used the effect, but you provided no documentation for how it was achieved. The spirit of the competition was coming up with uses for animate() and sharing how you did it.

This is incredibly true, and I actually still owe the community a hefty load of documentation and snippets.
Oh my god, I'm so freaking happy, I'm really glad all my time and effort got through to the judges, and that it payed off. Great job to the other entries as well, I'm glad my other 2 favorite games got 2nd and 3rd place. Also, all the reviews were well written and made a lot of sense. I appreciate that some of the little things were noticed, like the hints, the sound effects, and the lightning. To the judges:

@DarkCampainger: All of the review was nice! But I really appreciate that you noticed all kinds of little aspects that I took time to add in (and that you were one of the few who managed to beat the hero).

@SuperAntx: I like your review, the negative points made a lot of sense, especially considering some of it I was initially planning to put in the game (but cut for time). Aerial combat was planned, and a sword was planned as an alternative way to attack. Some of the aspects might've been easier to understand if the game wasn't so short, and players could get through the rounds easier. Fighting and defeating the waves of soldiers gave you more max health after, so it's worth fighting them as much as possible (which is noted in hints). Your health being tied to your flames is more noticeable when you have many skills, because all your skills scale to the size of your flame and pretty much any action you do will release flames.

@Writing A New One: I hope to resolve the issues by having a full fledged release, more bosses, better difficulty curve. One aspect I was debating on was having lives, but the game is short, and at the time fighting the hero was really easy for me, and I didn't realize people would have so much difficulty with him.

Thanks for the reviews, thanks for the contest, thanks for everything else. Considering the positive results, and the negative points being basically things I expected, I hope to make a full resale release with much added/fixed.
I guess this makes WANO the new BYOND contest guy now. There is hope after all! Nice job, everybody.
Oh, I also want to thank all the people who donated to the prize pool, it really helped me keep motivated throughout the contest. Initially I wasn't sure about having so many placed prizes, but thinking about it now, I really like it, and it kept me motivated.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
I guess this makes WANO the new BYOND contest guy now. There is hope after all! Nice job, everybody.

And the only one that seems to actually judge them, it seems.
6th Place xD Im down with that, Great Job guys ._.
In response to VixiV
VixiV wrote:

I think we're 7th place xD
Yay! Thanks for running this contest guys, and congrats to Megablaze...you deserve it :)

Also, in response to whoever noted the frustration of getting stuck on corners in my game, I feel your pain. I didn't really notice it at first because I would tend to move diagonally most of the time, but I think it wouldn't hurt to shrink the player's bounding box by a pixel to help avoid that.
In response to Enic
Congrats to the top five! Hopefully you continue to work on your projects.

Enic wrote:
VixiV wrote:

Look at the overall scores again.
My project was so good it is't even mentioned here.
: C
In response to Lige
Lige wrote:
Congrats to the top five! Hopefully you continue to work on your projects.

Enic wrote:
VixiV wrote:

Look at the overall scores again.

Ooh! xD
I do seem to be a little late..

And looking at the results:

-One of the reviews suggested improving the interface and I decided to make a quick update to the game. :D

Anyway thank you for the prize, C&C and putting together this contest.