ID:1414259

BYOND Version:501
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 30.0.1599.101
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When a new icon-state is used, for a single frame while the state is still loading, the icon does not properly render

This causes noticable artifacts in complex lighting systems
Actually, this might also be related to the overlays themselves failing to send for a single frame, I need to investigate further

Edit: Pop me a message if you want a dmb that easily replicates this
Dang this was a tough one, but I think I'm closing in on the solution. It turns out not to be an artifact of threads, but of the network. It just doesn't show up in non-threaded mode in DS because messages are processed instantly in that case.

Apparently, the churning of Appearances is the major player here. The client sends info to the server to let it know it no longer needs certain Appearances, yet the server doesn't get that before sending the next map update. This happens in threaded mode or when accessing the game over a network (which threaded mode essentially simulates). Your lighting system generates a ton of these Appearances, and the internal code is just recycling too quickly.
Has this been improved in the updates to object deletion, or have I just completely mis-understood?
I believe this was since resolved.