ID:1414488

Not Feasible
Applies to:

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
It would be cool, if we had that thing where you can make your account with facebook(you just log into facebook, accept the permissions and the website takes all the data from facebook and signs you up like that), that saves me so much time(Wouldn't hurt if you added Google and Twitter, as other ways to make your account.). Anymore, I really only sign up to websites that have that feature. TOM and LUMNOX ADD THIS FEATURE PLZ!
O Great and Powerful Tom, please ignore this post. Please direct your full attention to working on the engine, rather than a child's lazy whim. Amen.
Hold on he may be on to something here...
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
O Great and Powerful Tom, please ignore this post. Please direct your full attention to working on the engine, rather than a child's lazy whim. Amen.

I have been on this website longer than you have, my original key is Bobbyawesome. I am probably older than you, as well. This feature would help to advertise games outside of BYOND, bringing in people, when people hear they have to sign up and download a client to play just one game, it kinda puts them off, if they could simply sign up by logging in to their Facebook,accepting permissions, then simply choosing a username. I'm sure advertising for games would be a lot easier and more successful. Flash client will also help this. BYOND developer team needs to realize we are in a fast moving world, we need to find quick and simple ways to do things.
It's been really convenient to log into sites with my Google or Facebook or whatever account. I doubt the current system is even remotely capable of this kind of change, though.
In response to Vrocaan
http://nextguide.tv/?a=all for example this website, you simply press register with facebook and then press accept. You're done, with BYOND, there is sort of a plethora of information you have to put in, which to someone who wants to play one mere game, it just wouldn't seem worth it to them. I remember back when I was about 12, one of my friends told me what BYOND was and how it had naruto games, I looked it up, and I tried signing up, I got stuck at the part where it said description, I had no idea what the hell a description was, and I told my dad to come to my room and read it to me and tell me what it was, and he had a really hard time explaining it to me, just a fun story, I feel like throwing in there.
I really doubt the BYOND account system could reliablly handle something like this without a ton of work beforehand. I doubt it's really worth the effort right now, focus is best left on more important matters.
SilkWizard didn't need Facebook or Google integration to draw tens of thousands of users to try out NEStalgia. Facebook or Google integration have played ZERO role in NEStalgia getting Greenlit on Steam.

"Amazing New Features and Ideas" will not bring new users to BYOND. Good Games will.

This is all you currently have to put in to register an account. If this takes you more than one minute to do, you should learn to touch-type.

And, to be honest, do you really want Facebook to post on your behalf about how much you love random crappy Narto games on BYOND?
VongolaXEspada wrote:
This feature would help to advertise games outside of BYOND, bringing in people...

Exactomundo. Just what I was thinking. With some effort, wouldn't other people notice BYOND more via Facebook? Pretty much free advertisement. In the long run, it's beneficial. In immediate, it wouldn't be. However, I won't be using this feature. Lol. Don't need something else reminding me of FB.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
SilkWizard didn't need Facebook or Google integration to draw tens of thousands of users to try out NEStalgia. Facebook or Google integration have played ZERO role in NEStalgia getting Greenlit on Steam.

"Amazing New Features and Ideas" will not bring new users to BYOND. Good Games will.

This isn't more of bringing in users, but getting them to easily sign up, I know I've tried to get a couple people onto this website, and they always put it off, just because people on the internet are lazy.

Vrocaan wrote:

This is all you currently have to put in to register an account. If this takes you more than one minute to do, you should learn to touch-type.

And, to be honest, do you really want Facebook to post on your behalf about how much you love random crappy Narto games on BYOND?

BYOND doesn't have to post on your wall for recent games you are playing, unless they want to for free advertisement. They can just use facebook for signing up, take permissions to view date of birth,email,gender and account name. Also, challenge questions, are so old and outdated, if you lose access to your email, you do the challenge question on there, you don't need another one for a different website.

Oh btw, I've forgotten my password at least 20 times over the past 6 years on BYOND, and never used the challenge question, just got the email and reset it.
I don't want anything on this site that would even tease the possibility of my Facebook profile having anything to do with it. That's just my personal preference though.
You could always make another account if you don't want others to see it. Silkwizard didn't need flash either but that's still being worked on after all this time. I think it's something people could benefit from, and not just BYOND users but BYOND itself. People would start seeing posts made by BYOND and wonder what it is. They'd come to find games that others play and would hopefully try them. But as I've seen which features get implemented and which don't, I'm not expecting to see this added at all.

Edit: And holy crap Bobbyawesome is still around, wow lol.
I think Facebook registration intergration is a nice idea.

Reason it'll be good:
- One less username/password to remember (If you're like me and use different passwords for everything).
- It's modern.
- Like Vrocaan said it would post stuff to your wall (Free, no-effort advertising (And yes I am aware he said it in a bad way (How it's bad I have no idea, people like anime, deal with it))).
- It will circulate BYOND around facebook (Member joins through facebook, it's posted to their wall they are playing a game on BYOND, their friends see it (Dave), dave joins BYOND, his friends see, etc..).

Reason it'll be bad:
- It may be a pain to implent into BYONDs current system.

Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
Perhaps in the future, but for now it's not an ideal step to take, especially in terms of time required for little return.
It wouldn't be little return. It'd be exactly what BYOND wants, advertizement to a lot more people than BYOND currently has, but whatever. I don't see this being added either lol.
It wouldn't be advertising anything, it would be providing an alternative (and only slightly more convenient) to the sign up. It's not like it would place a big sign on the internet saying 'oh by the way, you can sign up to BYOND using Facebook now! Everyone flock to that place!', it would just add a few users who we lost to 'too lazy to make a new account', which probably isn't a crazy high number.

It would take a ton of work to do, learning the Facebook APIs, changing how accounts work in general, and redesigning the whole setup -- for what? A few users who couldn't be bothered to enter a few simple details to make a BYOND account. I don't see the big gain here.
In response to Nadrew
If BYOND had automatic posts made to my Facebook from games I'm playing here or posts I've made automatically, more people would be dragged to BYOND, and it'd be automatic. PlayStation Network does this with Facebook and easily gains users.
BYOND used to have those 'post to Facebook' buttons all over the place, guess what, nobody used them... ever. If you want things you do posted to your timeline, post them. If you want it done automatically, you can wait until it's worthwhile for the BYOND devs to take the time to learn the Facebook API, design a Facebook App (required if you want to post to someone else's timeline using that fancy 'permission to...' interface), and totally rewrite the account system... which probably won't be for a long time, if ever.
Page: 1 2