ID:1418625

Resolved
Keyboard messages were being read in a way that sometimes led to messages being received out of order when typing rapidly or when the client was bogged down.
BYOND Version:501
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 21.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:Join a SS13 server updated to byond 501, and type using global chat a sentence relatively quickly(80wpm or higher) and press enter immediately afterwards.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:When typing quickly and a long sentence it should appear.

Actual Results: Regardless of accuracy spaces seem to 'lag' behind letters they follow so you end up with "sentence slik ethis" and sometimes pressing enter too quickly after finishing typing cuts off what you said.

Does the problem occur:
I don't personally get the issue but several people after forcing them to update have experienced and complained about the issue on SS13.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When you type slow enough the 'lag' doesn't matter, or you're one of the lucky ones it doesn't affect like myself.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?Worked fine on server version 499.x with client version being 499 and below.

Workarounds:
None so far.
I don't know if it's even possible to investigate this, because SS13 is open source and the servers differ considerably in their user interfaces. However you could find out if the affected servers are running on Linux or Windows, and if on Windows then whether they're running in DD or DS. The major change in 501 was threaded mode for DS, which is set to be expanded further in 502, but in 501 it shouldn't have affected anything that wasn't hosted through Dream Seeker.
I host the server and its running windows and using DD. Though I have been recently told that downgrading to 500.1213 fixes it so it seems its limited to the client 501 and not sure on the minor version.
May be related to the annoying bug where a file open/save window would randomly throw input from the filename field into the default input control instead, I think that threaded mode actually fixed this
Well the issue was nonexistant until people updated to 501 and downgrading to 500 fixes it so it seems to be a client issue rather than a game or server issue.
Our Server runs one of the most recent versions of Byond 500, and we use DD on a linux computer. Lots of people are having this issue.
Just to get some followup info here, it'd be nice to know which servers this happens on, specifically, so I could use them as test cases, and what I need to do to access the chat area. A simple test case would be the ideal way to go, but I recognize that might not be achievable in this case. Any information you can provide is a start though.
Sure. I'm a developer from Baystation 12. You can find our server URL at: byond://baystation12.net:8000/
Can you tell me what to do on the server? I'm not a player of SS13 normally and I'm not used to the different interfaces.
If you encounter the bug at all, just type fast if you're able to and accurately and the client will drop spaces or they will lag behind the last letter of your word.
Yeah, in ours, type in say (if in character or observing) or ooc followed by a space to pull up the verb, then just whatever test message quickly and if it has spaces, It should cause some problems.
I've noticed something similar on Alternative Worlds, just typing in the input box, sometimes there's weird moments where the text inputted needs a second to catch up which ends up causing me to miss spell things, it only happened in one of the last updates to BYOND while the game is being hosted.
In BayStation 12 I tried this on the command line but saw no problems at all.
Is everyone entirely sure that this isn't an operating system problem?

I've run into plenty of situations before (outside of BYOND) where the computer lags behind my typed input...

Or, maybe this is related to a problem with BYOND (which seems to be supported by the fact that it appears to only happen to users of a certain version or above), but that whatever BYOND is doing is causing the OS to get bogged down (a memory leak, perhaps?)

As in, any of the possible issues (or fixes) discussed at http://superuser.com/questions/425349/ what-are-possible-causes-of-keyboard-lag-on-my-desktop-machi ne (and plenty of similar search results)
I'm sure there's a change component in here somewhere, because it's being reported on 501 vs. 500. There was a change to the way messages are pulled in an idle loop to prevent a number of weird threading issues, but the messages shouldn't be lost outright. I'm trying to look into it, but the lack of a simple test case is a problem.
I've seen this too but didn't want to post a report without that test case. Lots of players report this started around when we went to 501. For me the strange input behavior only happens in the input box at the bottom of the main window, popup inputs don't have the same issue.

Tried to reproduce it just now. I logged into our LLJK #2 server, clicked declare ready and picked the Staff Assistant job. I clicked in the input box at the bottom of the window and entered 'say now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of our country' as fast as I could. It worked fine.

That made me think it might be a leak after all so I ran around for a while trying it periodically. The problem didn't start happening until I was typing while lots of things were moving around in the main map control. After a few more tries that seems to cause the problem pretty reliably.

I can understand saying it might be the operating system or user error, it may be. On the other hand I type a lot and I'm pretty sure I'm hitting the keys right. Anyway I hope this is helpful.

P.S. server is 501.1217 on Linux but I've seen the same thing from the same code on Windows

Been talking to people on our server. Most confirm that it only seems to be causing an issue after a while on the server where you've been moving around and talking a lot.
Hi, I'm from the tgstation branch of SS13. The users on our server have also experienced this bug, though I thought it might be useful to note that we have yet to add any features that require 500+ code, and thus are still compiling on 499.
@Cheridan It might be because of the client.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Keyboard messages were being read in a way that sometimes led to messages being received out of order when typing rapidly or when the client was bogged down.
Page: 1 2