ID:1421672

Please delete the topic if this was discussed elswhere & please move it if it's in the wrong section.

So currently BYOND charges 100$ to get the BYOND exe tool and turn your games into an .exe game.

I've heard that they'll add a free version where you'd get an ad popping up before the game.

I was wondering... Does a game ran from the .EXE, request a login before it starts? If it does, would it be possible to have this removed if the game is a single-player game?

Thanks in advance.
I don't believe it requests a login. You should be able to do checks in code for different things like byond keys, guests, etc.

From trying out Eternia's, it didn't request one.
When I logged into NEStalgia's standalone a couple of months ago, it asked me for a login. But from what MDC said, Eternia's didn't, so I guess you can set it up to not require an account.
Thank you for the info.
The standalone .exe definitely allows guest keys. It even has an embedded form to create an account, right there in the launcher.
I meant more like launching the game right away. Not even registering from within the game/launcher.
Yes, it was done recently actually, you can have the exe fire the game right up using a guest key.
Perfect. Thank you for the info guys!
I hope they can find a solution to how they'll distribute their EXE tool as I believe 100$ is a made too much (at least for me =P)
The free version is our next priority.
Great to hear!
Looking forward to hear more about it!
If BYOND will have a standalone version, will people be still able to play online together?
In response to TheDarkChakra
You're misunderstanding what a standalone version means exactly. Lets say you choose to use the standalone. The ONLY difference there is going to be is that players will not need to download BYOND to play your game. Your game would have it's own desktop icon(which you can design the look of)that people can click to connect to your game instead of downloading BYOND, signing in to the pager, etc.
In response to MDC
Okay so then that includes playing online multiplayer right?
In response to TheDarkChakra
Yes. It's not changing anything inside of your game. It doesn't have to be a single player game to use the standalone.
The standalone EXE simply creates a build of your game with the necessary byond DLL and core files included. This makes it so the user does not need the byond client to play the game.
When the standalone is setup to do so it will show a server list inside of the launcher that will allow users to join a specific game server.
That's not unlike the standalone now, right? I suppose there's going to be a toggle to allow clients to boot right to the game instead of having to go through the splash screen as I've seen before.
It's exactly like the standalone now... that's not going to be changing. If you want clients to login outright withoout the listing appearing you can set it up to do that, they'll just join using Guest keys instead of having the option of logging in with their BYOND key.
Right. That's fine. That will be just dandy.
Does the standalone still link to the BYOND hud, or will it require a separate server for things like leaderboards and the such?
Page: 1 2