ID:1423278

Two things I wanted to ask:

1) Can I create a fangame that is not allowed on byond and not publish it? More like as a hobby and for friends only.

2)Ccan I create fan games, create a standalone player with ads that are upcoming and profit from those? I know I'm not allowed to profit from fan games but what if I release them not on BYOND but as standalone.
TheDarkChakra wrote:
Two things I wanted to ask:

1) Can I create a fangame that is not allowed on byond and not publish it? More like as a hobby and for friends only.

Yes, you can do this. We cannot tell you that you aren't allowed to make a certain game, but we have the power to prevent it from being advertised publicly on the site.

TheDarkChakra wrote:
2)Ccan I create fan games, create a standalone player with ads that are upcoming and profit from those? I know I'm not allowed to profit from fan games but what if I release them not on BYOND but as standalone.

Regardless of how you create and distribute a fan-game (which is already very much illegal in itself), you still cannot legally profit off of them. If a company decided to take legal action against you and you were making money off of their property, you're going to be ten kinds of screwed.

I know it's repeated often, but your best bet is to just not deal in fan-games and try to make money off of them. You will avoid a whole mess of potential legal trouble and actually be able to own the rights to your creations.
The thing is I spent a great deal of money into making his game, I really want to get it back at least...
You should just count your blessings that since HunterxHunter is not a popular IP in the west, you probably won't get a cease and desist letter for it existing at all. Because of that you will also likely be able to feature it in BYOND anime with access to a ready made community of fans.

If you expect to make money off of it, you really should have thought ahead. I'd just call it a life lesson and move on. People have told you many many times already that what you want to do is illegal. There are no work arounds. You either have permission from the license holder to profit from it, or you don't. And I really don't see Viz Media ever going along with the idea :P
There are people who think that an IP can carry a game's success for them; that without it, it wouldn't be popular. It's just a sad fact that many developers seem blind too: it doesn't matter what theme your game is based on, if it doesn't have a solid core, no one is going to enjoy it, not even you. Even "professional" developers don't always understand this.

If you really feel like your game is good without the fangame theme to it, "re-skin" it. Change the names, icons, aesthetics, ect, and make the game your own. You can keep the mechanics and still make it feel similar to the IP you're trying to convey, but different enough to where you can legally make a profit from it without running the risk of a C&D and subsequent lawsuit.

On an unrelated note, keep in mind that some things in animes don't translate well into balanced gameplay and should be left out or changed. Someone with an "ultimate" 1-hit KO attack that can be spammed (while it may be realistic for the show your portraying) doesn't make for fun gameplay

Just food for thought.