ID:1427592

I've been working my a$$ off on a dungeon crawler of sorts. It's got an all new spin in terms of game play (so you don't stop reading already) but it kills me to sit here and toil without saying anything about it. Old school rules tell us that announcing anything is equivalent to killing the project which I traditionally agree with. However, agile development processes preach deliver early and often. What can we do as solo game developers to keep the motivation going without losing steam.
Isn't this an announcement?
You could try hosting some private server(s) of it that are invitation only to start getting feedback.
A lone announcement might be a hindrance to some, but a habit of posting updates might actually help (and tends to be suggested for community building). My progress was greatest when I had a weekly column deadline forcing me to have something worth writing about during slow news day emergencies.

Unfortunately, a general forum probably isn't the best place for regularly scheduled posts. Some use a blog. That might work if it includes a community of prying eyes to provide motivation. (Perhaps Tumbler?) Otherwise, I'd suggest a legible social network like Google+ with a dash of Twitter to take advantage of hashtag collectors.
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
I'd suggest a legible social network like Google+ with a dash of Twitter to take advantage of hashtag collectors.

Do you have a Twitter account where you post game updates?

In response to Boxcar
Boxcar wrote:
Isn't this an announcement?

Yup. It's me digging for motivation.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
You could try hosting some private server(s) of it that are invitation only to start getting feedback.

Publishing to BYOND (and not the world) is effectively doing that, right. ;)
A rival might help. Pay someone to create a dungeon crawler as well.
In response to Ss4toby
Ss4toby wrote:
A rival might help. Pay someone to create a dungeon crawler as well.

heh. If I pay anyone (which I'm seriously considering) it will be to help make the game and not to compete with it. :P

In response to ACWraith
Never mind. I found you on Twitter via #byond.
In response to PopLava
PopLava wrote:
ACWraith wrote:
I'd suggest a legible social network like Google+ with a dash of Twitter to take advantage of hashtag collectors.

Do you have a Twitter account where you post game updates?

I have a Twitter account where I mostly retweet the work of other developers. Does that count? ;)

If I went back to a regular update schedule (which I probably should) then I'd likely post on Google+ and then share it on Twitter.