Wargames

by Acebloke
Wargames
[AMT] Join the war or build a city
ID:1428033

It must feel like it has been a long time since I've hosted, let alone updated Wargames original.

Fear not, as work on it is still progressing, albeit at an extremely slow pace. There have been a list of 3 items which need immediate attention before I update the old game with the 2.0 version, some of these are in progress, some still to do:

1) Updating the ministries and the Ministerial Council
2) Better statistical information and easier export of end game information
3) Stable Battle system with enhanced changes

Now I've been working on a bit of all of this, but I still need to finish the job. In more detail:

I've started updating ministries from a HUD based interface to a window-based interface. This allows better manipulation of text, options, and displaying graphics. It also means the game doesn't have to worry about a second map object just for this.

The updating to the Ministerial council is also part of a new plan for an in-game tutorial to help people along, especially with some of the new elements in 2.0 such as passive trading of resources with civilian ships which is already implemented in the 2.0 versions I host but will make a bigger impact in future where it will influence sea based combat. I am also redoing those faces and also creating some for heads of state: President, Prime Minister, Dictator and Monarch (I'm doing male only faces for now but will get round to doing female faces too for female-based keys).

All the useful information and statistics is now based in one window, with buttons to replace it with the next topic. Right now there is most land, most people etc as it was before, but also military expenditure and trade ship tonnage.

One of the things I still need to do, and I'll put it off as long as possible, is exporting end game data. This is an annoying click copy paste fest for me when I host and upload results but I'm hoping to have it come out pre-formatted so I only do one copy paste into the wiki website.

The last thing is combat. If you've played a 2.0 hosted game, you know that its on-screen battles now where weapon range, unit speed now plays an important part as well as a new defensive unit category which splits apart the numerous Light tanks etc that are available. I've been working on making it smoother and there is still a couple of bugs around such as battles not ending forawhile (which also delays turns).

I'll be working on the game this weekend so who knows we might get another hosted game very soon.