ID:1431443

Resolved
Dream Daemon in Windows can now handle the server on a different thread from the interface, allowing for more responsiveness. This can be turned off by setting "threads off" in cfg/daemon.txt, if need be.

In addition, map-sending operations have been multithreaded in both Dream Daemon and Dream Seeker in Windows, which should improve processing of games handling large numbers of players on multi-core machines. Procs are all still handled on the server thread.
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
Dream Daemon should be multithreaded to avoid the interface getting locked out when the server bogs down.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Dream Daemon in Windows can now handle the server on a different thread from the interface, allowing for more responsiveness. This can be turned off by setting "threads off" in cfg/daemon.txt, if need be.

In addition, map-sending operations have been multithreaded in both Dream Daemon and Dream Seeker in Windows, which should improve processing of games handling large numbers of players on multi-core machines. Procs are all still handled on the server thread.
Any plans to expand this to other platforms?
Yes, although the benefits of this approach are still a bit undetermined.
I just downloaded the new BETA and my game takes a minute or two to load because of the map size and generation, it worked fine until this version. Now when I try to host a new game on Windows after about 2 minutes the Dream Daemon becomes unresponsive and Windows forcefully closes it, meaning I can no longer host the game.
In response to Mask of Illusion
This was happening to me for about an hour. I made a post about it in beta bugs, but when I found out it was working later, I thought it was just me, but I deleted it... should I make it again? :/
Yeah, may as well if you're still having the problem!
In response to Mask of Illusion
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1432817 <- So that those who can help fix the problem can, even though it's the only post in Beta Bugs right now...
Just provide as many details as possible and we'll get that fixed up. That's why it's a beta!
Is this for Linux servers too? Will this be implemented for Linux?
Well, Linux servers don't have an interface of sorts. About all they could disconnect into a separate thread would be console and log printing?
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Well, Linux servers don't have an interface of sorts. About all they could disconnect into a separate thread would be console and log printing?

So map sending operations are already multi-threaded in linux?
Probably not, gotta love my not-quite-reading of 2-for-1 feature posts.
I am hoping for a clarification / update on the matter. Namely, I am interested in knowing if there are plans to implement this for linux servers (or is it an unnecessary optimization for linux?).

I don't think windows would be my first choice for hosting a large scale game on a regular basis, which is why I ask. Linux is much more suited to this task not only in terms of performance, but also security.
We'll get multithreading in linux but first we want to iron out the issues.