ID:1432817

Resolved
Sleeping and spawning procs were broken in Windows Dream Daemon, even when not in threaded mode.
BYOND Version:502.1218
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate
Web Browser:Chrome 31.0.1650.57
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When running a game in Dream Deamon, notably games with larger maps (I use one with a size of 500x500, so I assume that could be the reason), appear to either take a while to open in Dream Deamon in BYOND v502, or not open at all; When they do open, however, they run significantly slower than they do in Dream Seeker. The Join button error seems to only happen in Threaded mode, however, although movement still seems rather slow compared to movement when run in Dream Seeker. (I could not at the moment provide a gif to show this, although I will quite quickly if needed)
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1: Create a game with a large map
2: Run the game in Dream Seeker, note it runs normally.
3: Run the game in Dream Deamon in threaded mode. Sometimes, the game will take a couple of minutes to open once you click 'Join'.
4: If the game runs, move your character around. You'll see that it's moving noticeably slower than it did when running in Dream Seeker.
5: Close Dream Deamon and turn off threaded mode.
6: Open Dream Deamon again with threaded mode now off. The game shouldn't have 'Join' button problems, but the game still appears to have the characters move much slower, although everything else runs as expected.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
See Movement.dm in Forum_Account's Keyboard Library for my movement code.

Expected Results:
Game still opens within seconds and Movement isn't slowed down.

Actual Results:
Game does not open within seconds (half the time) and Movement is slowed down.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?About 50% of the time with the Join button in threaded mode, All the time with Movement.
In other games?Don't know
In other user accounts?Yes
On other computers?Apparently, as other players who joined when I gave them a link were having problems connecting despite the lack of a firewall, proxy, and antivirus interference (Avast is fine with both Dream Seeker and Dream Deamon),
while I have indeed Port Forwarded.

When does the problem NOT occur?
For the Join button, when threaded mode isn't on. For movement, when using Dream Seeker to host or run the game.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
BYOND 501.1217 worked fine.

Workarounds:
Host in Dream Seeker.

Is there a specific game you can recommend to test this on? Preferably one without an exhaustive set of character creation options.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Is there a specific game you can recommend to test this on? Preferably one without an exhaustive set of character creation options.

Sure, I have my own personal project that I've been experiencing this problem with. First one, w/ music playing by default, and most major loops enabled and Second one, with music not playing by default, and most major loops disabled. I'll note that the second one appears to run considerably faster, even with Threaded mode on, and recently the error with the join button hasn't occured much.
Thanks, I'll take a look at those.

Music shouldn't be a factor at all, so loops would probably be the big deal, but those shouldn't really be slowing anything down vs. the older version, either. I wonder if something's a little off in the map threading that's causing the issue. I think in the next beta I'll throw in a setting to turn that off too, just in case, but even so you also shouldn't be seeing a difference when not in threaded mode, so I'm not sure what's up.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Sleeping and spawning procs were broken in Windows Dream Daemon, even when not in threaded mode.
Thanks for the help yet again Lummox! It's greatly appreciated :)