ID:1433423

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I'm not going to bother much in the way of layout for this post, because i don't think i'm up for the attention/patience that would take right now, i'm just going to get into my complaint.

The heck... that message (in the title), i've received it twice today now, and i was about to say it doesn't make sense but, thinking about it, the second time i may indeed have logged off then on again on a different tab to the post it happened on when trying to do something.

Still, it is and was quite infuriating, moreso because of the finality with with your post gets dealt with: both times i was given no warnings/inclinations as to what was about to happen, my account name was still registered and logged into, no idea that i'd need to refresh the page myself, and after being at it for a lengthy period of time attempting to make a worthwhile contribution to a topic, i press save and bam! the opposite happens, i get this damn error and hey! all my words are now gone! huzzah! -_-.

I really, reeeeally dislike wasting such an amount of my time like that especially when i had to work myself up to get the post done, and instead of giving me a warning(maybe telling me i needed to register/login) or confirmation box or something , since supposedly the system did pick up on the fact that i'd logged out since the page had been loaded -and was perhaps treating me as a guest? ...- i was allowed to have, as i discovered, my only attempt at posting those specific thoughts of mine, the form knowing full well it would be a failed entry.

I think that it is very easy to unknowingly find yourself in the kind of position i did, and that -even if the user was a guest attempting to post something- we should be given the chance to preserve our posts until they can be posted. This can easily be done as mentioned, perhaps you give a heads up telling the user they need to login/register first, or you refresh the page and keep the writing in the comment box when you display the error instead of immediately erasing anything that had been written, without the user having a clue about it. It'd be a much more friendly solution than what i've been faced with, so please make the necessary changes in that area.
The best way to handle this would be to not draw the box and related posting buttons at all if you're not logged in.
In response to MisterPerson
MisterPerson wrote:
The best way to handle this would be to not draw the box and related posting buttons at all if you're not logged in.

His problem was that he was logged in when he started writing his response, but then logged out/logged in from another tab (probably invalidating the form's anti-CSRF token). It's kind of an unusual scenario...

Also, just checked, and it already doesn't show the form if you are not logged in.