ID:1437006

So, When i first started out wayyy back then, all the popular games were like Lode Wars, Proelium Dragon Quest..What happened to all the Servers? only games I see up are just Proelium. Any Ideas if they are just not good because they edited the characters or something? I just started getting back into byond as of the 1st of this month need to games that are good and great to play!
The creators have either left BYOND, or moved on and left the projects, usually. Although in some cases, like Dragon Quest most likely, there are Cease and Desist acts on the content of Funimation and Square Enix preventing BYOND from displaying any games using content that belongs to those companies. Dragon Quest, if I recall correctly, is property of Square Enix so it would be hidden and limited just like Final Fantasy and such.
What I've never understood is that so many of the old games (well, new ones, too) never have hosting files available for download. So once the owner is gone, or the server is allowed to die, the game can no longer be accessed.

More developers need to put up a download, instead of trying so desperately to cling onto control of the lone server for their game.
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
I agree with this for the most part. I can see some cases where it might make sense, especially if they don't want a server run poorly, but most of the time the game should at least have some files with limited hosting options or something.

A lot of games don't even need the limit. The developers need to add the files before leaving the project and/or BYOND, but it seems that usually happens unexpectedly, so earlier may be ideal.
Im just curious to which games I should check out seeing how i havent played in so long. I mean I like strategy but i cant host anything or play anything i use to love playing
Proelium was a fun little game back in the old days. I wouldn't be surprised if it ever got a slight resurgence of popularity, but it will probably never get played again like it used to. It's tough to get a team based game going after all. You need at least 6 people playing at all times for it to be fun.
In response to Red Eye Dragons
Red Eye Dragons wrote:
Im just curious to which games I should check out seeing how i havent played in so long.

I have to recommend NEStalgia. Even if it isn't your favorite game ever (hey, I didn't complete it) you really have to play it because it's a significant part of BYOND history.

The other popular games are easy enough to find: Eternia, Rise of the Pirates, The Last Conflict, Sigrogana Legend...Haven't played much of those myself tho
In response to Red Eye Dragons
Some oldies have been popping back up lately. I haven't checked on them since the initial announcements, but LRS, Castle, and Murder Mansion were all mentioning updates not long ago. LRS looked good for sure, and Murder Mansion sounded good too, I think. I don't know how Castle will go since it's not the original owner, some may like it, some may not.
Hmm Ok thanks everybody But yes Balzack I was hoping proelium would still be up after that long time gone but nope lol. Or een dragon warrior too those were my favorites back then but neither are up its disappointing but yes atleast 6 people for that kind of game is best there was 4 of us playing it yesterday hoping others to come back but nope:/ Thanks for the ideas guys!
Perhaps it just needs a sequel :D
In response to Magicsofa
There already was a Proelium II. As far as I can tell it wasn't as popular. I guess there could be a III, but not sure how well that'd go. A sequel to the Dragon Quest one is unlikely, and probably a bad idea because of the whole Square Enix issue. Now a game kinda like Dragon Quest might be nice. I can't comment on Lode Wars, I rarely ever hear the name, and never saw the game.
LODE WARS IS AMAZINGG! My 2 brothers and I play it when a servers up its fun with just us 3 too so i wish we could download it but we just cant
Proelium was boss. It has such a simple concept, but yet it's fun as everything to play. Might have to host a server one of these days and have a little fun. :D
Ganing Please put one up now man, My 2 brothers wanna play too