ID:1437628

Hi guys, i'm kind of new to pixel art, so i would appreciate some C&C, coments, and of course some tips to improve it. oh and this is for a naruto game.

That was my first attempt on the base
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
second one, i put some outlines, i like it and decided to make the other states
still, i'm not satisfied with the waist..

and, here's my first attempt to the tree (horrible)
on the second attempt, i used the same pallete, but with another style
Heya man, welcome to the world of pixel art! First off let's start with the base, though I won't go too much into it, i'll mostly talk about the trees. Anyways you said you were making it for a Naruto fan-game, so to get a more cartoony style using bold black(Or near black) outlines works a little better than selective-outlining like you did. The general shape seems good but the palette needs some working on. You need a lot more contrast, trying having the highlights hue change closer to yellow, and the darker shadows more brown. Also the base color is more orange like he's using a spray-tan, try using pink or tan to see how ya like it.

For the trees let me start you off with my favorite tutorial, So You Want To Be A Pixel Artist? By Tsugumo: http://petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/ chapter5.htm There is a very neat section describing how Secret Of Mana 3 made their amazing tree sprites.

For your first attempt, I actually really like the palette on the trunk and love the style. However the big bold outline on the left side of the tree that is highlighted should be reduced to about 1 pixel in width(Maybe 2 on some parts to make it look less uniform). Both with the leaves and the trunk it looks very messy, like you sketched it out and didn't complete it. I actually enjoy that style if that's what you were going for, but even so you still need to clean up the lines to make it work. The trunk on the second attempt looks a lot better, it has a great texture to it. Though it's missing the highlights the first one had, with that it'd finish it off and make it great!

Now for the leaves, in that tutorial I posted you can see in the palette they switch from a yellow hue at the highlights and purple in the darkest shadows. Though your palette is nice enough you don't need to do this but you can try it out to see if you like it better. Though my main problem with these leaves are again, it looks like you sketched it out and then didn't clean up the lines afterwords. Also the scaling is a little off, compared to your base an individual leaf would be about the same size as his head! On your second attempt it looks alot cleaner(Besides the outside edges being so sharp) but it seems a tad bit unrealistic how small the shrubbery part of it is compared to the trunk and your first example. You also might want to use selective outlining here, say for the top of the shrubbery part, instead of using the darkest green in your palette next to the lightest one, try using a middle ground like the second darkest or even the mid-tone.

Sorry it is a little too early in the morning for me to do an edit, but if you want to make some more attempts on these then i'll gladly make some examples for you to help out! Anyways it's all looking great for you just starting, you have some natural-born pixel-artist in ya :p

Many thanks for the tips, i did some editions following what you told me, here is the result:

then tell me what you think ^^
oh, i just put my first attempt at the tree to see the difference, and like you said she was not finished, so I do not intend to edit it.
A rule of thumb with trees is that the leafy portion (the "crown") is about 2/3 the total height of the tree (though this can vary by species, location, local competition, etc.)

I like the style and execution on your latest tree, it just feels like the crown is a bit too short compared to trunk height.

Actually that was my intention, leaving the crown of the tree short, because I wanted a different kind of tree, and not that usual type. But thanks for the tip anyway =)
I like your first tree better, to be honest. It has more character.