ID:1438391

Hi, my computer broke yesterday and I decided, after repairing it, to install Ubuntu 12.04 on it, I just got it installed and I wanted to install byond.

I installed WinE from the Software Center, in it's 1.4 version. Then I went about a handful of posts, and also AppDB for info on how to get BYOND running.

When I tried to install vcrun6's DLLs executing the command I was prompted to (WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/my/path winetricks vcrun6) I got a 404 error, so due to my super awesome guessing ability, I guess it is not available anymore.

Any solution for this?
You're on Wine 1.4? Try the latest - Latest development release: Wine 1.7.8

Installation guides can be found on google, like usual. But, I won't annoy you buy pointing you to such a broad search.

http://www.tecmint.com/install-wine-on-ubuntu-and-linux-mint/

If that doesn't help out, research for a way that does help. Then, follow the instructions on installing BYOND.
BYOND won't run well in WINE, I don't understand everyone's fascination of getting it to work... It has way to many bugs.....

If you want to use BYOND on Linux install Windows on a VM...
Well, it's actually less CPU consumptive than running two OS's. Even for something that has a lot of bugs. I can't play a single game without the CPU skyrocketing. With Wine, it was much better. So long as he's gaming and not hosting or coding in it, it shouldn't be a problem.
I am over a Pentium IV, it's a very old computer, I just increased my RAM from 512mb to 1GB and replaced Windows XP with Ubuntu, just a performance matter.

Playing games in BYOND is not my priority, but time to time I feel like doing so, hence why am tryna get this working.

@Xirre: I will try and upgrade my WinE, but seriously, I doubt it is a problem of the version, a 404 error means the download page was not reached, anyways, am new to this linux world so let's try updating.
I suggested it because I was on Ubuntu and no matter what I did, anything after BYOND v498 did not work at all unless I had WINE 1.7.x installed. After you've installed it and created the new prefix, let me know of your progress.
Now it seems that vcrun6 was successfully installed, instead I get this error when installing ie7:

adrian@thiscomputer:~$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/adrian/wine_byond winetricks ie7
Executing w_do_call ie7
Executing load_ie7
Executing wine iexplore -unregserver
Using native,builtin override for following DLLs: iexplore.exe itircl itss jscript mshtml msimtf shdoclc shdocvw shlwapi urlmon xmllite
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_ie7\override-dll.reg
Using builtin override for following DLLs: updspapi
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_ie7\override-dll.reg
------------------------------------------------------
Checksum for /home/adrian/.cache/winetricks/ie7/winetest.cat did not match, retrying download
Downloading http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/winetricks_files/winetest.cat to /home/adrian/.cache/winetricks/ie7
--2013-12-07 00:45:33-- http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/winetricks_files/winetest.cat
Resolviendo winezeug.googlecode.com (winezeug.googlecode.com)... 173.194.67.82, 2a00:1450:400c:c05::52
Conectando con winezeug.googlecode.com (winezeug.googlecode.com)[173.194.67.82]:80... conectado.
Petición HTTP enviada, esperando respuesta... 200 OK
Longitud: 346 [application/octet-stream]
Grabando a: “winetest.cat”

100%[======================================>] 346 --.-K/s en 0s

2013-12-07 00:45:36 (24,1 MB/s) - “winetest.cat” guardado [346/346]

Checksum for /home/adrian/.cache/winetricks/ie7/winetest.cat did not match, retrying download
Downloading http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/winetricks_files/winetest.cat to /home/adrian/.cache/winetricks/ie7
--2013-12-07 00:45:36-- http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/winetricks_files/winetest.cat
Resolviendo winezeug.googlecode.com (winezeug.googlecode.com)... 173.194.67.82, 2a00:1450:400c:c05::52
Conectando con winezeug.googlecode.com (winezeug.googlecode.com)[173.194.67.82]:80... conectado.
Petición HTTP enviada, esperando respuesta... 200 OK
Longitud: 346 [application/octet-stream]
Grabando a: “winetest.cat”

100%[======================================>] 346 --.-K/s en 0s

2013-12-07 00:45:38 (26,0 MB/s) - “winetest.cat” guardado [346/346]

sha1sum mismatch! Rename /home/adrian/.cache/winetricks/ie7/winetest.cat and try again.
I got it installed, and even showing the splash screen, but seems it won't get past the loading screen.

EDIT: TO clarify, I didn't install ie7, and since I dont know if it is installed already I won't try to install ie8, I just installed byond to check if it worked.
Because you need to install ie7 and ie8. Otherwise it will sit at the loading screen forever. And you need Wine 1.7.x as well or it will do that also. I had the same problem. Which is why I am suggesting the fix that worked for me.
I have done what you said, it is now when I get that error...
Try uninstalling "everything" then redoing the process.
If you mean unisntalling WinE, that's what I did before updating to 1.7.