Chao Chatterz

by Gold Dean
Chao Chatterz
The Original Chao-Themed Icon Chatting Game, nine years running! Come join the fun! Updated December 10th, 2013!
ID:1442225

Hey everyone.

I made Chao Chatterz over 9 years ago when I was still in junior high school. Around my 14th birthday. Well, I'm a 23-year-old software engineer now and, quite frankly, I have this game to thank for getting me started and interested in programming.

Chao Chatterz was my first real 'programming' or 'scripting' experience, and looking back at the source code for this game I can't help but get nostalgic.

The entire project is one horrible pile of spaghetti code, redundant variables, poor memory management, and just stupid design choices overall.

But it's still my baby.

I hope you all have grown up big and strong. I hope you had a wonderful time playing Chao Chatterz. Through all the silly times, through all the drama, through all the gross adult role-play that went on behind the scenes. It's been a truly wonderful experience, even though I often times snubbed the players who just wanted to socialize and learn.

I'm releasing the Chao Chatterz source code to the public. I only hope that the young players who still enjoy BYOND might find it as a stepping stone to learn basic programming. Just learn from my mistakes: nothing in Chao Chatterz was very well written. Even after completely overhauling the code in 2006 the code base is still pretty poor.

But we can't learn if we don't acknowledge our past mistakes!

You can find the source code here (Special thanks to Magicmann on Github for saving the source code before I lost it again.) I left everything in with the exception of sensitive information (admin IPs, ban lists, hub information, etcetera.) Any removed information was replaced with "{!!!}" so do a quick search for that and replace it as you see fit.

Unfortunately I cannot help you make heads or tails of the code. Even I don't quite understand it anymore! But if you are interested in learning more about programming in general I'd be more than happy to talk to you!

Just like old times, you can contact me on Windows Live Messenger at [email protected].

I hope this journey has been as fun for you as it has been for me. Take care you wonderful chao!
I miss it being active :(
Woot! I have been hosting it this entire time 24/7 it was only down these 2 days because i was getting new internet
Holy shit these were some good times hahaha 20 years old now and I still miss this thing hope everyone is doing good in life and congrats GoldDean and I'm sure you remember me hahaa -drackon
Congratulations on becoming a Software Engineer! I first played this game almost 5 or 6 years ago and had a fun time. Good luck in life, mate.
I started my first steps into anything computer related with Chao Chatterz. Thanks, Gold Dean.
Grats to the two of you who got the Deany Doll. I assume you did something with the source code. :P
I was the one who gave the source back... You can thank me for the return of the source that I was questioned about by TheMaggots. He told me you had lost the source and I had the only working one left at the time.
I love some of the comedy you put into this.
<code> switch(input("These are the keys you have pagerbanned.","PagerBans") as anything in tehpage) if("Gold Dean") alert("Yeah, that's not a good idea, buddy.","PagerBans") switch(alert(usr,"Are you sure you want to shut down the server?","Shut Down","Yes","No")) if("Yes") gonnadie = 1 </code>
In response to Prinster_the_Prinny
Prinster_the_Prinny wrote:
I was the one who gave the source back... You can thank me for the return of the source that I was questioned about by TheMaggots. He told me you had lost the source and I had the only working one left at the time.

The source code I posted was from an old harddrive I found. It wasn't from any external users. I never lost the actual code, just the 'lite' release that I did a long time ago.

The version of the source code you had was probably the aforementioned release. This one is the complete and full version of my last publish with some just some sensitive information removed (IPs, server safeguards, hub info, etc.)
In response to Gold Dean
Is there a chance of getting in contact with you over getting the hub_id and continue updating CC for the better?
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Is there a chance of getting in contact with you over getting the hub_id and continue updating CC for the better?

This is also something I would be interested in doing. I likely wouldn't play CC very much anymore as I have a busy schedule, but it's what got me interested in BYOND originally, which in turn led me to do everything I've done with my e-life. (Which has made me a good deal of money over time. =P)
If anyone's still looking for it, you can find the source code here. Special thanks to Magicmann on Github for saving the source code before I lost it again.
In response to Gold Dean
Gold Dean wrote:
If anyone's still looking for it, you can find the source code here. Special thanks to Magicmann on Github for saving the source code before I lost it again.

I waited 84 years.