ID:1442644

Resolved
BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 31.0.1650.63
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
While google chrome is open, attempting to login to any pager from version 499 on crashes the pager and deadlocks chrome until the pager is force-quit.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: 2

Expected Results: BYOND Pager does not crash

Actual Results: BYOND Pager crashes (not responding forever)

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Problem occurs every time while Chrome is open.
In other user accounts?
Yes I have alts.

When does the problem NOT occur?
I don't actually know.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Any 3.5-style pager

Workarounds:
Open a 3.5-style pager and use byond.com for 2.5-style (before pager and seeker were separate) pager functions.
Considering how many of our users have Chrome and don't report problems like this, I think there may be something wrong with your system. (The post you linked to is about a completely different issue related to a user's individual friends.) However I'd like some clarification: Does opening the pager alone cause this, or do you have to actually reach the step where you login to your account? If you have auto-login turned on, you can turn it off in cfg/pager.txt in your BYOND user data folder.

But if the problem reliably happens as soon as you start the pager, as long as Chrome is open, then the problem is that Chrome and the embedded IE competing for some major resource, and that just shouldn't happen. I'd recommend a reboot, and possibly also updating any drivers on your system.
1) Rebooting does not work.
2) It's not Chrome. Chrome just gets hit by the crash.
3) The linked issue sounds like what's happening, because
4) it only crashes after I've logged in.
It's odd that this would impact Chrome in any way, since that's a separate process. That still suggests an issue on your system.

Nevertheless there could be other issues in play triggering this. Does the same problem happen when you login on a different account?

Something is also giving me the nagging suspicion that a broken antivirus program could be involved. I know Chrome stupidly recommends people use AVG, which is a known bad actor. It might be worth temporarily disabling your antivirus software to see what happens.
Here's a picture to a nice black background that continues to make me think it's that issue I linked while I do that: http://puu.sh/5KyeE.jpg
And it's not AVG unless you mean to completely gut and uninstall the thing.
A black background behind the pop-out is not related to a crash caused by something on the friends list. It's a display error in Windows. If there's any relation to the hang/crash at all then it would be a faulty display driver.

And if you do have AVG installed, do not rule it out. In fact, don't even use it. Yes, if you have AVG installed you should completely uninstall it, because it has not been a good or trustworthy piece of software for five years or so now. Back when it first turned to crap, it gave me all kinds of mystery problems that ultimately traced right back to AVG, and uninstalling it fixed them. It's caused issues for other users as well. Do yourself a big favor and switch to something else like Avast.
The black background only occurs every time BYOND 499 crashes.
In response to Tahujoe
Please direct all future discussion about the friends list crashing the pager to this topic and lock this one.
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1436423&hl=crash

Have you verified this never happens on an account with no friends list? Have you tried removing AVG and replacing it with something else?
AVG still installed & running. CHROME! still installed and running, preemptively, before you tell me to uninstall that, too. BYOND 501 has decided it wants to run now.
AVG is the kind of thing that could, and would, interfere with other programs like Chrome running; I've had it shutdown my entire Internet connection when it was misbehaving. Other users don't have an issue with Chrome, so I'm sure Chrome isn't the problem. AVG has been a problem for quite a few. It hasn't been trustworthy for a long time now.

Since this is no longer happening for you in a newer version though I'll just go ahead and close this report.
Lummox JR resolved issue
So do we know what version Suspicious is running?
Still open. Issue continues to happen on the version 501 that it was previously happening on.
Yes, it is the linked issue. key "Tajuhoe" with no online friends logged in fine.