ID:1445031

BYOND Version:502
Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit
Web Browser:Opera
Applies to:Dream Daemon

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
This doesn't necessarily crash Dream Daemon, nor Dream Seeker, it prevents me from doing anything on Dream Seeker, and when I or anyone else joins the game, (I join through Dream Daemon), they are stuck at connecting.

Going back to stable prevents that from happening, I have no idea what's causing it to happen, it occurs randomly. However, I did notice that when no one joins the server (excluding myself), it does not happen. Players that join the server are loading save files, that's about it.
Which exact build number are you using? There are currently two 502 builds: 1218 and 1219. If you're using 1218 you need to retest in 1219; if it stops happening there then we're good.

If it still happens in 1219, try setting "threads off" in cfg/daemon.txt in your BYOND data directory, before you start the server. If that fixes it, it would suggest a threading issue. In that case it would be very helpful to know what kinds of situations trigger the problem, how long it takes to trigger, etc.
I can't be certain how long it takes to trigger or what triggers it yet, but I can confirm that adding threads off in cfg/daemon.txt stops daemon from crashing randomly in 1219.

I'll update this if/when I can single out what causes the issue.
Does this mysterious port closure still happen with threads on in 1219? There were numerous fixes in that build.
I will try it again and report soon.
It continues to crash after a while. I'm still unsure about what's causing it. All I can say is, it's a crash that doesn't show the "Not Responding" error.
We need to get clear on some terminology. If the application closes unexpectedly, it's a crash. If it stops and is not responding, it's a freeze. If it does neither of these things, it is neither a crash nor a freeze but something else. The port not responding to new connections is not a crash; it is merely a bug.

Which of these things is actually happening?
I don't know about Ishuri but for me it's a freeze then, from what I can see it happens randomly without warning.
It is a freeze. Nothing happens to Dream Daemon during the freeze, players can attempt to join the game, however, no connection to the game can be made during the freeze (it will load up the black patching screen, then stay stuck at "Connecting")
This happens to me too when using the beta build. When I press host and someone else joins (even if it's me joining locally on a different key), shortly after Dream Seeker stops functioning for me and whoever joined. The window itself doesn't freeze up, however. This does not happen on the stable build.
I have Windows 8.1 64-bit, by the way.
In response to Ishuri
What you've described is not a freeze. If you can interact with DD's interface, it's not freezing. It's merely having a connection issue. That's a completely different kind of bug, altogether.
Can everyone else weigh in on whether setting "threads off" fixes this? In Koil's case, that needs to be set in seeker.txt for DS hosting; for DD it needs to be daemon.txt. I'm wondering if the map threading has some issue I haven't detected.
I am assuming it's something with the threading, and I am unsure if this is the issue at hand, or something that hasn't yet been reported. But Dream Daemon is awfully crashy. Going from clicking on it while it's loading the game world, to just crashing when you click it during use.

Loading a game a few times on one Dream Daemon program may also crash it from time to time. (Switched back to regular builds, this was a bit too crashy for me to handle.)
Just an update, the Daemon is also crashing in the same 503 hosting scenario.
Laser50, FIREking, do those crashes apply with threads off in daemon.txt? With threads on but map-threads off? I need more data.
I have it with all threads on.
It's best if you can try turning map-threads off and seeing if that goes away. If not, try turning off all threads. I encountered a bug regarding thread disabling that I fixed in the most recent 503, so I'd suggest testing with that.
Using version 503.1223, I tested it with "threads off"(seeker.txt / hosting with seeker) and there was no freezing.

Let me know what else you want to try.
Did you try with just map-threads off?

Lummox JR has confirmed and issue and is working on it, but the more data points, the better.
Page: 1 2 3