ID:1450223

I made these two space tiles, they look nice but they're very griddy. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to remove the grid?

variation 1
space1 photo space1_zpsbbf495f1.png
variation 2
space 2 photo space2_zps6a43e83d.png
They look amazing nice job.
With space backgrounds like that, the easiest way to get rid of the 'grid' effect would be to make probably 12 variants(More or less if you like). Also, starts are a bit different than just white pixels on a black background, that seems a tad bit boring don'tcha think? Stars usually have a haze around them, and sort of make a cross shape, so you could use gray around it to make it blend a little better. Also that is alot of stars for 1 icon, you may want to reduce that number in some more variants. And finally I like to add in purple red and blue stars, 'cos when objects in space are moving they run from red-blue depending on which direction they are going.

And if ya didn't already know this for the variations and extremely easy way to program them all in is to name there icon_states "1-12", then put this little code snippet in under the turf/space part:
New()
.=..()
icon_state="[rand(1,12)]"

That'll make the game randomly pick 1 of the 12 variants for you on every space tile when the game starts up.

Hope this helps out man!
You could also use some fancy things at world initialization time to avoid hard work.

turf/New()
var/matrix/m = matrix()
m.Turn(rand(0,3)*90)
m.Scale(1-rand(0,1)*2,1-rand(0,1)*2)
transform = m
color = rgb(rand(230,255),rand(230,255),rand(230,255))