ID:1450963

Resolved
Certain situations related to live friends could cause the pager to freeze.
BYOND Version:502
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic
Web Browser:Firefox 26.0
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: Whenever I start up BYOND, and log in the Feed tab pops up, and my BYOND freezes. It then stays this way until I force it to close. From what I've heard, the Feed throws in a huge CPU usage, which causes a lot of computers to freeze.

Method 1: Logged in normally.
Method 2: Logged in, and attempted to access a server within seconds apart.
Method 3: Didn't log in at all ( Didn't freeze BYOND, but I couldn't -do- anything.

When does the problem NOT occur?: This problem only occurs in 5.00 and above. I cannot downgrade, as the games I have been using have updated, and require updates to 5.00.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? 4.7 or 4.8

Workarounds: Downgrading.

-----

Does anybody know how to make 5.00 work?

Try to update to the latest beta (503.1221). In one of the more recent releases we fixed an issue with the friends that was causing freezes, so that could possibly be related. If that doesn't fix it, we'll take a look at your account to see what could be causing an issue.
This did not work either for me, unfortunately. During the install, I was being told it could not install a file called "dreamdeploy". I'm not sure if this means anything.

Thanks, though.
Hmm.. sounds like something is corruted. I suggest fully uninstalling BYOND, removing the BYOND/cfg directory (probably in my documents/BYOND), and reinstalling the latest 503 from the bottom of http://www.byond.com/download.
That seemed to work, but then it brings the Feed back and it freezes once again. I'm sorry to be being a bother. Should I just try to act quickly when I start up BYOND?

I deleted the cfg directory and installed the beta, like you mentioned.
We'll see what we can find on this. I suspect it is something with your friends passing information. Do you have a large friend list?
Yes, I have a lot of people I've added from the past year or so, who I don't speak to anymore. Would removing them keep the pager from freezing up?
I suspect that is the problem. You could try removing some friends to see if it fixes things, and we'll investigate this again. Is your feed very large with updates?
This may sound silly, but where would I go, not on the pager, to remove friends from my list?

My Feed does seemingly have a lot when it tries to tell me what is going on, if that's what you're asking.
You can do it from the web page. Go to byond.com and click on the blue (or red) atom icon in the upper-left corner, and then select the "Pager" button. I'm sure this is related. Can you give me a screenshot of your Feed?
I couldn't previously "see" my Feed, but I took a screenshot of the friends list before deleting that, if you would like me to post it, so you can see the length.

It does seem that after deleting the friends, my BYOND is now working fine. You may have correct, that the friends are freezing it up.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Yes, I experienced the same issue multiple times, with different versions of BYOND above 5.00. Sometimes it actually works fine, yesterday, for example, but today it refuses to launch again. Deleting friends resolved it.
I have also experienced this problem, and tried to use any other BYOND above 500.
I'm having lots of problems with BYOND 500+.

1. Freezes as soon as I load it pager.
2. When I click the 'Feed' tab, it freees and closes. Sometimes, it freezes and then go to the tab section. The freeze time lasts from 10-30 seconds.
3. When I click a game, it doesn't load until 5-10 minutes later.

~Silent Night
Same here. Having a big friend list is the cause.
Oh, man. I have a lot of friends.
We think it is related to specific friends, not just the quantity. We'll get this fixed this week.. It is our top priority.
For those still having this issue, please contact me as soon as you can. I've contacted several of you on the pager but haven't had any takers yet. I had thought another issue with the Feed tab was causing this, but that turned out to be unrelated.

I'd like to setup a live chat if at all possible, and AIM is the best way to do that. I recommend getting an AIM account and downloading Pidgin, which is free, and you can let me know your AIM account ID by replying here, sending me a pager message, or sending me an email at [email protected].
We really need more help on this issue. Are any of you experiencing the problem listed in the original post where the pager/feed becomes unresponsive? It seems to be connected to the state of the friend list but we have been unable to reproduce it, and would like to resolve this asap so we can get the fix into a new build. Please contact us if you can show the problem. Thanks.
Page: 1 2