im sorry i couldnt upload it to the post so i made a page https://www.facebook.com/Byondproblems
In your byond user dir, there is a folder called "cfg". Close all BYOND programs and rename this folder to cfg.old, then restart BYOND and see if it works. This will let us know if there is some corruption in one of those files, and we can proceed from there.
same thing happened but this time it asked for a login
We'll have to diagnose this with you online. Tomorrow or Friday would be best.
friday
Updated to the latest BYOND update, and it still lagged and froze sometimes when on the Feed tab. I completely deleted the "BYOND" folder in "My Documents" this time and I downloaded the latest BETA 503.1223 and so far no lag/no freezing.

Edit: *A bit slow to get to the Feed tab but a lot better!!
Ok, next time this happens, rename the cfg/localhub.db (to back it up) and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, we'll want to see how your file got corrupted. If it doesn't, we'll have to keep looking to see what else is going on.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Certain situations related to live friends could cause the pager to freeze.
My pager still freezes.(even after the latest update) I've noticed however that when logging into other, less used screennames of mine that it's perfectly fine-even seconds after logging into this account.

My guess is that the pager somehow gets overloaded with activity at some point and stalls out. As to why? Could be to do with many things going on at once. Updating which hubs are live, telling you which friends are on, etc.

Also, after a long time running- the pager will also freeze and any attempt to use it again will fail- causing it to freeze yet again. I just experienced this today.
Well, I can tell you the freeze you're seeing now definitely isn't from the same cause, so that's something. The freeze I fixed was an actual infinite loop in a specific place in the code, and there's no longer anything like it in play (I double-checked).

I can try experimenting with your feed to see if that's an issue, but the size of the friends list shouldn't be. I've tried experimenting with large friend list sizes and found an issue awhile back that I solved, but nothing like it has come up since. I'll see what I can find.
Sure, what do you need to check out my feed?
In response to Dariuc
I don't need anything specific from you yet, though it may come to a point where it'll be easier to debug this live via AIM. What I plan to do later on is load up your feed tab via some debugging to see if that's causing the issue for you. I'm not convinced it actually is the feed tab so much as your friends list, but this is obviously no longer the same issue as before so I'm a bit at a loss as to what's going on. The feed tab is at least related to your friends list, and is something I can check fairly easily.

One thing I'd like for you to try is making a backup copy of your cfg directory (which contains localhub.db) and then deleting localhub.db from the original. If the problem resolves itself it would suggest the db was in a weird state. If not, try removing cfg entirely. I'd also recommend the same with the pager directory, backing it up first. If the problem disappears after certain files are deleted, examining the files you had before that might clarify the issue.
I'll see what I can figure out. It doesn't occur after rebooting my computer so like you suggest it is more than likely an issue with a file , maybe corruption or something of that nature.
For me lag has decreased by a lot since the new version but I still lag/freeze for a few seconds whenever im on my Feed tab (It's like it keeps updating once a while and whenever it does, the pager stops responding.)
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
For me lag has decreased by a lot since the new version but I still lag/freeze for a few seconds whenever im on my Feed tab (It's like it keeps updating once a while and whenever it does, the pager stops responding.)

Some brief times where it's busy updating are somewhat to be expected, though generally the pager code is optimized as best it can be to avoid long pauses. I could see that being a bigger problem for long feeds, so that might be something I'd need to optimize further for those cases.
Page: 1 2