ID:1454276

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
In the SS13 dev community, we're constantly updating and creating new maps. One of the most annoying things for us to do is exporting an image of the whole map for others to see. Currently, the method we have of doing this is to take screencaps of the map every couple of tiles of movement, and stitch it all together post processing. This is incredibly time consuming and leaves lots of room for error.

One way this could be vastly streamlined is if we had the ability to natively export an image of the whole map, the idea being that we could toggle on and off certain layers (Like areas)and click a button in one of the menus in DM (Probably under options, build, or file) And export an image of the whole map on a 1:1 pixel scale as a png or jpg.

Having the ability to do this would be greatly appreciated!
I support this, being able to change the scale as well would make creating minimaps much easier.
DJ: If you give me a poke on the pager, I actually wrote some custom DM code that allowed me to output proper .png image files of each Z-level in the world as tiles - the only post-processing needed was stitching them together via a script and imagemagick.

I've lost most of the toolchain past the actual tile-export, but this (very old) map is an example of multiple Z levels getting output, and this (also very old)map shows a single Z-level
Although please add this as a host-only feature, mostly for the reason that >> Switch to jpg >> Rebuilt in Dream Maker >> Custom map jacked.
Well, it'd be a DreamMaker feature presumably, as the OP states. As that is where you are developing the map, and would want to export it to demonstrate to others.
In response to Laser50
Anyone who really wants to rebuild a map you have can do it, it just requires a little effort.

Also, .jpg? You, sir, have bad taste.
I definitely support this. Super handy for minimaps, plus sometimes it's nice to just be able to look at your whole map at once like that with zoom out on the image.
In response to Stephen001
As a Dream Maker feature it wouldn't work, as ideally you would want to reflect the state of the map after any initialization, for example assigning overlays, tile autojoins, etc, that likely wouldn't appear at design time.
Though in some ways, we would want to see how the map looks before initialization, particularly with SS13, being able to see the spawn points and such.
+1