Epic Shinobi

by Lugia319
Fight for your village, die for your honor.
ID:1454587

Poll: Should Permadeath be a feature

Yes 82% (19)
No 17% (4)

Login to vote.

I'm a little on the fence about permadeath. I want players to care about their character and to pick their fights wisely, but I don't want people to rage because someone got into a bad fight and quit the game.

Right now, you cannot die in my game (barring the "suicide verb" which I used to test DeathCheck() and send you back to spawn). It's not going to stay that way very long, as I will be adding stronger and stronger monsters soon. I want the game to have some roleplay aspect to it, but it's not roleplay based. A lot of the concept is from Skyrim. The levelup system is practically Skyrim with a little bonus.

I've about settled on the permadeath side, but maybe some outsider input would change my mind.
It all depends...I believe permadeath would fit in a game where skills are what decides in a battle.

A game where a char grinds,level up and trains all day to get stronger shouldn't have permadeath...never EVER. You'll be losing players very quickly.

On the other hand if the game is more skill based (Keyboard controls and actual battle tactics like team leaders and group raiding) Permadeath could be a neat feature to encourage people to learn and train before trying to take on stronger enemies.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your game. =D
I was thinking about an inheritance system where you can "inherit" some of the stats from your previous character. But then I thought, why not just do skill decay, same thing, no need to remake your character. Most of the leveling in the game is inspired by Skyrim, so it wouldn't be a rough fit.
I like the idea of an inheritance system, if you're adding PvE then perhaps make it so that all your equipment (or a % of your inventory) and your money (or again a %) stay in your position so you or another player can come along and pick it up. Maybe protecting it for 5-10 minutes so that only the player who died can pick it up.