Harmony Online

by Lavitiz
A fantasy sandbox RPG with a focus on non-linear character progression, intense open-world PvP, and plenty of quests to keep you yearning for more. Are you ready for your action-packed adventure?
ID:1456231

Poll: What type of PvP should HO have?

Open World PvP 48% (20)
Arena/Zone Based PvP 19% (8)
Duel Only PvP 7% (3)
Toggle-able PvP 14% (6)
Server Specific 9% (4)

The polls are now closed.

The idea and concept of PvP came up today with a fellow developer, so I thought I'd push a few ideas to the community and see what everyone thought.

PvP is a very, very touchy subject as it's very opinionated. The war with PvP vs PvE players has been around for as long as I can remember. So, I'm hoping that by coming to the community, I can find an understanding and grant what form of PvP is desired most.

Open World PvP

• Open World PvP.
  • Limited safe-zone support.
  • Newbie protection for the earliest of levels.
  • Karma based system with NPC Support.

This option would allow open world PvP with very few safe-zones scattered across the world. Newbies would be safe for the first early levels, but afterwards are fair game to all players.

A karma system would be put into effect- Players with evil karma would be kill on sight by all town guards. Players who kill other players with evil karma will also be rewarded with good karma. There will be minor penalties for those with evil karma, and slight bonuses for those with good karma.

These good karmatic bonuses are not game breaking and will ultimately not greatly influence PvP. However, the evil penalties will reduce damage in both PvE and PvP by a significant amount.

Arena/Zone Based PvP

• PvP enabled in zones classified as arenas.
  • Dueling permitted outside of zones upon request.
  • No karma based system.
  • No penalties.

This option allows players to enter zones that are classified as arenas. Arenas will each have unique and arena-specific rules and guidelines. I.e, no potting for health.

The only other way to PvP would be to request a duel with someone and have them accept.

Duel Only PvP

• Duel on request only.
  • No arenas.
  • No karma based system.
  • No penalties.

This option will only allow duel-based PvP.

Toggle-able PvP

• Toggle-able PvP Flag
  • No arenas.
  • No karma based system.
  • No penalties.

This option will allow PvP for everyone that has their PvP flag enabled. There are no guidelines and no penalties.

Server Specific PvP

• The above PvP types, but different for each server.

This option would allow each and every PvP type; being completely dependent on the server settings.

I would LOVE feedback on this matter! Please pitch in if you'd like to help participate in PvP Discussion.

I was torn between open world PVP and Toggle-able PVP. I overall picked toggle-able PVP just for the fact in the past I have gotten a little aggravated with being killed every 5 seconds so it seems like. I am sure other players have had the same feeling which is why I chose PVP is toggle-able. However I do think a 1 on 1 arena/duel would be a nice thing to have as well along with the toggle-able PVP.
Arena, Duel, and Toggle-able

Arena - Just to have rules set in (whether to balance it out and base it on skills). Also to have beautiful arenas to battle it, with obstacles and such, rather than an overcrowded place with tons of people or monsters.

Duel - Just to be able to duel anywhere. Monsters should be able to attack as well (if they aggro) to prevent any invincibility cheats. And it would be nice to have rules set in as well.

Toggle-Able - Some people like to PK, but some people don't like to be bullied. So it would be nice to have a nice system where you are able to just do some random PvPing with a huge crowd or mob.

Other Suggestions - Team PvP (to like have a party vs. another party), certain areas that are open PvP (like an ancient treasure mysteriously appeared, so people go out to find it through like a maze in a cave, like a survival thing for a good prize such as the Hunter Games)
In response to Chumble93
Chumble93 wrote:
I was torn between open world PVP and Toggle-able PVP. I overall picked toggle-able PVP just for the fact in the past I have gotten a little aggravated with being killed every 5 seconds so it seems like. I am sure other players have had the same feeling which is why I chose PVP is toggle-able. However I do think a 1 on 1 arena/duel would be a nice thing to have as well along with the toggle-able PVP.

I know what you mean, for sure. :P The NPC Guards are what would keep the peace in Open World PvP. It would be setup so even the strongest of players would need a few people to help kill them with ease.

Also, depending on feedback, I'd mix and match specific PvP types as well. We'll see.
I feel it would be a good idea to have PvP as toggle-able. This is mainly because this allows for a good open PvP environment to be created without forcing players to participate. I personally enjoy open PvP way more than any other type, but keeping PvP toggle-able is a good way of allowing people who don't like PvP to still play without getting attacked all the time.

Additionally, using this method of PvP allows different faction/ groups/ guilds to rise up in power and then certain conflicts will automatically form on their own. This not only makes the game more enjoyable for the PvPer but it also creates a sense of realism. It even brings certain players together to work as a team against others instead of just playing alone.

This is just my opinion, however. It would be nice to hear other peoples thoughts on it.
------
- Ronan 'Inffliction' Hopkinson

photo Inffliction_zpse7f44996.png
In response to Chumble93
Chumble93 wrote:

I second this comment. ^_^

~Silent Night
In response to Lavitiz
If you plan on having strong village gaurds like that, I would go with Open world PVP, however I think the karma system should have advantages and disadvantages to both sides not just make it where everything bad in the game happens to you if your evil karma.
I would go for open PvP. Even grinding becomes more fun with it and once you are higher level you can scare some juicy noobies to see them running in fright to safe zones. Toggle-able PvP just destroys the adventurous feeling from exploring map and makes world not usable - you just pass it once while farming and then you get stuck up in city waiting for arena queue.

If game allows players to reskill other players, it's problem of the game but rather problem of Open PvP itself. You can do things to motivate players to help low-levels for some rewards, maybe titles or so.
In response to Balborg
Balborg wrote:
I would go for open PvP. Even grinding becomes more fun with it and once you are higher level you can scare some juicy noobies to see them running in fright to safe zones. Toggle-able PvP just destroys the adventurous feeling from exploring map and makes world not usable - you just pass it once while farming and then you get stuck up in city waiting for arena queue.

If game allows players to reskill other players, it's problem of the game but rather problem of Open PvP itself. You can do things to motivate players to help low-levels for some rewards, maybe titles or so.

And this is the reason why Open World PvP is retarded nowadays.
Your response is unclear. I'm not sure if you agree or disagree and at which points.
In response to Balborg
He definitely disagrees not sure at what point though!
In response to Balborg
Balborg wrote:
Your response is unclear. I'm not sure if you agree or disagree and at which points.

Of course if I say Open World PvP is retarded, then most likely I fully disagree with you.

Context clues can be a helper in the problem like this.
In response to Reem16
Reem16 wrote:
Balborg wrote:

Of course if I say Open World PvP is retarded, then most likely I fully disagree with you.

Context clues can be a helper in the problem like this.

Which is why I stated that PvP in general is very opinionated and also why I've requested discussion on the matter.

The more point of views and opinions we have on how to approach this matter, the better we can do at creating something everyone can enjoy.
I'm going to take me a quick nap and then write a nice little detail for each section. And the if of combining a few.
In response to Reem16
Reem16 wrote:
I'm going to take me a quick nap and then write a nice little detail for each section. And the if of combining a few.

That would be very productive of you, thanks!
I'm making something of a similar game and had the same conundrum when I was drawing up the concept of the it.

Eventually I decided to go with a mixture of your last three options: Dueling, Toggle-able and Server specific.

Players can choose to challenge another player, this initiates a duel if it's accepted. The two players are then flagged for PvP but can only attack and be attacked by the other person in the duel.

I've given players a button to turn PvP on, after it's been switched on you can attack other players in PvP. It can be turned off if a player has not interacted with another player for five minutes and is not currently in combat.

And finally when a host starts a new server, they can choose to completely remove the PvP option and make it Open World or keep the default option. By making it Open World PvP the only "safe zones" are what the game calls settlements, which are player and NPC owned villages. However a settlement can be attacked by another player and if that happens then that settlement is no longer a safe zone until the threat is either eliminated or flees the area.
Yeah, at this point I'm pretty much in favor of all of them. This way if one option is too much of a problem, we can easily switch it out with another. I'll probably add a compile-time/run-time toggle for each PvP mode. This way, everyone's needs can be met.
Yeah that was my way of thinking with it, just give the players a few options and try and make them as fool proof as possible.

Any problems that happen during testing can then be fixed, if a certain way doesn't work - then it can either be redone or removed.
Wouldn't it be more.. different.. to do Area/Zone? I'm sad that a lot of people went for the more common type of PVP setting, Open World. I'm honestly tired of seeing the same type of game every time I play one.

Choosing the Area/Zone setting would bring a realistic feeling. While you aren't normally allowed to fight in a town, you are not bound by the laws when out in the wild exploring the forest and such. In a town, there are guards and laws are enforced.

Heck, if the game involves magic beings, then have it so that on each town there is a protector. Anyone who fights there will be instantaneously killed. It'd suck if you misclicked though. So, a little warning from the "protector" or have it so it only triggers after a certain amount of hits would be best advised if this were ever the route you'd go.
In response to Xirre
Wouldn't it be more.. different.. to do Area/Zone? I'm sad that a lot of people went for the more common type of PVP setting, Open World. I'm honestly tired of seeing the same type of game every time I play one.

Open World PvP isn't in every game, to tell the truth I haven't seen it in games for a while now.

Choosing the Area/Zone setting would bring a realistic feeling. While you aren't normally allowed to fight in a town, you are not bound by the laws when out in the wild exploring the forest and such. In a town, there are guards and laws are enforced.

You basically described Open World PvP

Heck, if the game involves magic beings, then have it so that on each town there is a protector. Anyone who fights there will be instantaneously killed.

What's its purpose then?
Page: 1 2