ID:1457823

BYOND Version:503
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Chrome 31.0.1650.63
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Roughly after joining many games on BYOND and about five minutes or so has passed, it causes the CPU usage to overflow and causes my laptop to freeze. It will keep going until I restart my laptop properly.

I've uninstalled BYOND completely and re-install it and it still did not resolve.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?: This problem occurs in BYOND version 500. I've used the latest beta version 503 and it still had the same problem situation.

In other games? Yes, except for chat & text games.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Have not used any other computers.

When does the problem NOT occur? If I download version 499 and below.

Workarounds: Downgrading

I need more info on this.

1) Which games has this happened with?

2) Does it occur only when you're hosting, or when you join?

3) Is dreamseeker.exe what's racing, or is it the pager (byond.exe)?

4) Are you monitoring this in the task manager and if so, what are you seeing for memory usage? Is it possible that DS is simply using too much of your laptop's memory resources?

5) How old is your laptop? Is it possible this is only happening because of newer changes that try to make the game use hardware rendering where it used to give up more easily? Try turning off hardware rendering for games to see if this helps.
1) It happens to every game that I've joined, only games that doesn't cause huge CPU would be chat/text-based games.

2) Both.

3) dreamseeker.exe.

4) I've been monitoring this in the task manager, the memory usage isn't that large. I don't believe it is.

5) My laptop is only 2 years old (well, when I bought it) it's a Window XP Pro. I believe so, and when I turned off hardware rendering, some games including my project uses alpha-channels, etc. required to check the use of graphic hardware.
i have the same problem.. pls someone help.!
omg this happens with the whole player base of most side scrollers (naruto call of the shinobi, naruto eternal memories)
i play Naruto Saga Brasil and when i enter in academy my game freeze =/ sry for my bad english.! i really need help.!
Any specific steps I can follow to reproduce this would be helpful.
1) Start BYOND.

2) Click play on pager/button to join a game. Or host a game and then join the world to play it.

3) Move around the game for about 5 to 15 minutes.

I've been having this problem since the release of BYOND 5.0.
@Lummox JR
Here is the screenshot of the game: http://files.byondhome.com/Vexxen/Sample-6.PNG

In addition, I have to check the graphic hardware on the BYOND pager because the project that I am developing uses alpha on the area.
In response to Vexxen
atom.alpha is supported in software mode, and has been since it was introduced. atom.color is supported too, now.
I'm also getting freezes in games compiled under the most recent beta (503.1222)
I experienced this as well as soon as I upgraded to 503 beta with Alchemist.
There really isn't any specific ways I can explain how to reproduce the problem, because it isn't any specific thing that I do that freezes up the window. It just seems to happen at a random time while I have the window open, even if I let it sit idle until it freezes.

Perhaps its something with multi-threading, but I haven't tested it with the multi-threading disabled yet, I've just returned to the stable version for the time being.
Same problem here.
It's best to test this with multi-threading if you can. Try turning threads off in seeker.txt, and then try turning only map-threads off (but leaving regular threads on). I need to narrow down where the problem is occurring.

I should also note that Vexxen is referring to freezes when joining games, not merely when hosting them or running them single-player, and when joining a remote game presumably the thread settings should be moot.
I've discovered a potential for a freeze when running a game in DS. I don't think there's similar potential in DD, or when playing a game remotely, but I'm still investigating.