ID:1459613

(See the best response by DarkCampainger.)
Code:

Problem description:

My byond crashing and I believe it happens due to rsc how much memory space should 1 dmi file take up. And how much in total should my rsc be??
oh sorry I'll transfer it
So what could I do to prevent it from crashing I mean can I use more rsc files or something simillar??
Best response
Hi Victorqr,

We're going to need some more information to properly help you.

First off, which BYOND program is crashing? Is it Dream Maker, Dream Seeker, Dream Daemon, or the BYOND pager (aka BYOND client, or just byond.exe)?

Also, At what point does it crash? Is it as soon as the program starts, does the window appear at all, or do you have to do something to make it crash?

What do you mean by "crashing"? Does it just freeze and stop responding? Or does it exit unexpectedly?

Does it give you any kind of error message?

Is this only happening for a game you are developing, or does it happen in other games as well?

Looking at your post history, I'm guessing this is related to your previous post:
http://www.byond.com/members/ Victorqr?command=view_post&post=1384443

There you state that your resources have reached over 100MB, which is somewhat beyond the "norm", but should still be compilable. Are you sure your computer isn't running out of memory mid-compile? You can watch it in the Task Manager "Performance" tab as it compiles.

I would also recommend that you look into better compression. If you're including BMP or WAV files in your resources, compress them into DMI and OGG files, respectively.
At 43 mb rsc it takes too much time(1-3 mins)to compile specifically while loading map and half a minute saving dmb.

The exe halts freezes and later crashes at 80-100 mb rsc (checked it, due to memory reasons)

But when I have a single dmi file at 35 mb it crashes(the exe)

So I'll need to upgrade my pc....
In order to increase compile speed do I need more memory or I also need a stronger proccesor. I mean would a new memory improve the compilation time???

Thanks for your help