ID:1460404

Was previously running a 496 build, tried to upgrade to 499. Came across this error.

DreamDaemon: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.12' not found (required by /usr/local/lib/libbyond.so)

Running Debian Squeeze, cannot upgrade to Debian Wheezy, which is the standard fix. (Squeeze only has 2.11.4 from apt-get.)

Any idea how to work around this?
Not really, in short. There's no backport available, and glibc isn't exactly a dependency you'd want to cherry-pick from wheezy. Similarly, I don't think Debian does slotted packages like CentOS for instance does, so you can't side-by-side install wheezy's package with squeeze's. One of the reasons I tend not to recommend Debian to people.

I suspect your options are:

1. Upgrade to Wheezy.
2. Pick a different distro.
3. Cherry-pick libc6, libc-bin from wheezy, and pray it lines up to your kernel version's syscall table. Which ... as there's no backport been made for it, I'd suspect it won't.

Downside to trying 3 is if it doesn't line up, you've just blown bash and can't undo that, I think?
I'll also look into the dependency. We had a similar issue a while ago and I just had to set some compiler flags to allow an older method that was supported by the older glibc, so maybe this is the same deal.
Managed to get around the problem. I noticed the issue is only present in v499 upwards (at least for me.)
For the benefit of others, what solution did you come up with in the end?
Essentially the provider found a work-around on his end for the custom kernel that was running. (Apparently not a standard OpenVZ setup.)

Not sure about the technical side, but Wheezy is working fine now.

I did have to do the 32 bit work around in another thread here.