ID:1463295

Well, after reviewing my demo, "Coding Starters Guide," I decided it was a terrible source for learning, and immediately removed the download from the hub.

That being said, I've started reconstructing it from the ground up. Since reconstruction has begun, I've found myself getting ahead of the game (so to speak). For instance, I will begin addressing one feature, and while doing so address others entirely. I suppose the problem is my desire is to target beginner/intermediate programmers, but I've been modeling it more after intermediate.

So, here's where I ask for some opinions on the matter..

Should I stick to a strict order, and if so what should the order be? Example: First Paths and Variables, Second Procedures and Verbs, Then misc aspects.

Or..

Should I only target intermediate (considering there are so many well written tutorials for beginners already).

Or lastly....

Should I just forget about recreating the tutorial and take it down? It is somewhat absurd to suggest that I am in any position to instruct others. However, having a tutorial does allow one to tell those who ask to be taught, "Download this, it's everything I can teach you." So it's nice to have that escape goat.

Any who, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Even if the advice is to simply forgo the entire thing. Just please give reasoning. If there isn't any reasoning, you do not have a persuasive argument at all.
There are plenty of tutorials out there for beginners, but a lot of them are either teaching bad programming practices, or aren't very descriptive.
In programming, there is a huge difference between being a beginner and being an intermediate. Also there is a huge difference between being brand new and understanding the basics. You shouldn't try to make just one project about 'everything you know'. Instead, you could create more small tutorials with increasing difficulty. E.g.:

1. Basics of Beyond
focusing on: atoms, icons and icon states, variables, procedures

2. Your little RPG
lists, mouse procedures, etc

... datums, pixel movement ...

5. Going deeper ? :D
vectors, matrices

When teaching beginners, lessons should be quick. Show them one simple thing and let them use it. Let them have their own ideas - teach them to think by themselves. But hell, don't do tasks. It's extremely annoying. If so, create a project where you only have tasks.

When teaching intermediates, well, you should better know something. I don't think that many people want tutorials. But anyways, such tutorial is good for
"Download this, it's everything I can teach you."
and also it's a collection of your skills. Whenever you feel like a loser look at what all you can do. :D

Sorry for English and as long as you don't necessarily need to do something else you should try making a new tutorial.
@GamerMania, the beginner tutorials I know of aren't bad at all. However, I do feel as though they are dated, which is one motivation to creating a tutorial.

@Balborg, I was actually making a step-by-step tutorial. Were there are 'chapters' to go through. So in essence, it wasn't really just a through everything together type of situation. Although the idea of multiple tutorials does seem a lot more appealing, because then I wouldn't have to worry about whether I covered something in the right spot or not.
In response to Ss4toby
Ss4toby wrote:
@GamerMania, the beginner tutorials I know of aren't bad at all. However, I do feel as though they are dated, which is one motivation to creating a tutorial.

I'm going to agree on this one, I actually enjoyed reading the beginner tutorials.

What about creating your own version of "The Blue Book"? Sure, a daunting task. Would be neat to have another made though, considering it's done properly with up-to date information.