ID:1463552

So when a player is running around on the map the server has to send updates to the client on what they should be seeing at that time right?

Does that mean if I give my players ridiculously high view distances they are using more bandwidth than if I reduce the view distance?

My players can choose up to 34x34, maybe if I reduced that to 25x25 I would save bandwidth?
It's about the number of objects on the screen and the frequency of the updates, I think, so yeah.
Yes, BYOND is hilariously inefficient at networking turfs and areas, also less objects onscreen, you would pretty much cut the bandwidth usage in half
Basically yes. I messed around with it before. The more things in view, the more bandwidth and CPU the game will use.

If you want to see something hilarious. Take an object with a 160x16 icon size, and plaster it on a map (absolutely fill it up, every single time). Set the view size to 20x15 (or higher).
Taking as much as a step will cause CPU to jump significantly even though nothing much is happening. I'd assume bandwidth usage would spike just as much by doing this.
one of the reason I hate that dude BR police. I use 34x34 and when ever he comes near me with those stupid icons it starts to lag. and when he stars blasting custom iconed images at use. he might as well be hitting you with time freeze.
yerp i know